Rethinking Prime Beef: Why "Choice" May Be Your Best Bet

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/beef-shopping-prime-high-choice-steak.html

This 2017 article suggests that with USDA Prime beef becoming more common in supermarkets and warehouse stores, some of it is coming from younger animals with less developed flavor, some from less flavorful breeds like Holstein dairy cows, and high-end restaurants are still skimming off the very best Prime beef, leaving the lowest level of Prime beef to retail stores. The article suggests that "high Choice" branded beef may be a better choice for many of us.

Article closes with a positive comment about the increased availability of Prime brisket for barbecue.

Good info. Never had a complaint with my Choice briskets. I've never seen the need to drop the extra $$ on prime when it comes to brisket. Other cuts, yes but not brisket.

I went on a bit of an "Audible" audio book kick a few months ago - one of the books I've been into lately is called "The Omnivore's Dilemma". I've had the ebook for a few years now but I make a lot more progress with audiobooks. I started it a couple/few weeks ago and the first day I listened to more than a couple hours about corn farming and the production of corn. Not quite as interesting as Elon Musk's autobiography (read it / listen to it - fascinating IMO), but I've enjoyed the Omnivore's Dilemma so far.....although I'm probably only 1/3 in.

Yes, the book is relevant to the production of beef, although I don't know the extent or the direction it goes. I worked with dairy cows as a kid, so I'm somewhat familiar with that side, at least how my grandpa handled his ~35 milk cows & farm/ranch.

I buy prime steaks and briskets from Sam's Club. Priced like choice at grocery stores - no complaints.

I wish our Sam's club had the higher end stuff instead of being nothing but a bigger version of Walmart. Thankfully our area will be getting a Costco in about a year and then it will be adios Sam's Club! Or maybe the Costco will make Sam's clean up their act Not sure but definitely not very pleased with them anymore

I wish our Sam's club had the higher end stuff instead of being nothing but a bigger version of Walmart. Thankfully our area will be getting a Costco in about a year and then it will be adios Sam's Club! Or maybe the Costco will make Sam's clean up their act Not sure but definitely not very pleased with them anymore

We've had a Costco here for about 20 years, about three years ago they built a Sam's club which was closed about six months ago. But in the quad city area which is about 42K people we are blessed with four Walmart super centers.... lucky us.:rolleyes:

We have 3 Wally super centers in a close drive but I rarely ever step foot in them. Especially for food products. They're always the pits in quality. Lots of rotten veg on the shelves, shriveled and dried out fruits and veg, Nah even at their prices you have to throw out half what you'd buy

Sam's prime sirloin tastes pretty good.

The price went up to $8.00 per pound (up from $6.48) however.

Sure wish I could find ANYPLACE around here that sells Prime grade

I think you've got a Costco under construction in Loves Park? Perhaps Prime is coming soon to a store near you.

Update: Oops, now I see you already mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Yep and honestly I cannot wait. Sam's Club lately has been a huge disappointment to me

Half my family works for or has worked for Costco, a great employer and very good quality products. I think you'll be very happy, and if you're not they will refund your entire membership fee at any time.

Half my family works for or has worked for Costco, a great employer and very good quality products. I think you'll be very happy, and if you're not they will refund your entire membership fee at any time.
Pro tip -- Get the executive membership. It costs double, but you get cash back at the end of the year on all your purchases. If the check doesn't exceed the cost of the extra for the executive membership, just take the check to the service counter and they'll refund the extra membership fee. It's a no-lose proposition. Best case, you spend a lot of money at Costco and you get a big rebate. Worst case, Costco hangs on to your $60 (or whatever it is now) for a year before giving it back to you. For the last couple years the Executive membership has paid for itself and the regular membership with a little bit left over.

And just so this doesn't go too far off topic, I'll mention the prime packer briskets at Costco are considerably cheaper per pound than the choice brisket flats they have. Makes buying prime seem a lot smarter.

Yep, a friend of mine I worked with before retiring from United has a part time job at Costco in a Chicago burb and he loves working for them. Another one of my long time friends I grew up with uses the executive membership and loves it. I would also most likely use that. I understand they treat their people very well, pay them well also. Carry good product. I just hope they don't make a super cheap opening membership when they come here and have all the dregs I hate shipping with clogging up the store. Leave them to Walmart and Sam's LOL

We've unfortunately only have Sam's and they just have regular choice. I haven't renewed my membership in a few years though. It might have changed. Occasionally a CAB brisket will pop up at my grocery store and I find they are pretty close to prime. My butcher carries and upper 2/3rd's choice brand as well. Unfortunately he's no longer carrying the all natural prime briskets. He does carry prime steaks. I'm generally pretty happy in that upper 2/3rds choice zone though with steaks.

Back