Brother's Summit

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So my brother and his wife needed their Summit Silver B (I think) mid generation Summit 4 burners and a side burner overhauled. New burners, new flavorizers, igniters and a good cleaning. I was somewhat worried what I would find due to all the issues with Summit fire boxes. I was pleasantly surprised to find the front of the fire box on his had a stainless steel panel where the burners poke through. So a couple hours work scraping/cleaning (not a restore) and his grill was back on the road. Amazed at how badly his OEM flavorizer bars had disintegrated though. IMO not up to what I expected from Weber stainless steel stuff and they're NOT cheep for that grill either

Time to get RC to make you some flavourizer bars LOL

If I am remembering correctly, these Summits are the ones with a special flavorizer set designed to protect the crossover burner tubes. I believe another member posted a while back about working with Dave “rcplanebuyer” to come up with a solution but there isn’t really a cheaper way around it. Still, I think they are nice grills (not bloated monsters like the current Summits), especially with that stainless fix to the front of the firebox.

If I am remembering correctly, these Summits are the ones with a special flavorizer set designed to protect the crossover burner tubes. I believe another member posted a while back about working with Dave “rcplanebuyer” to come up with a solution but there isn’t really a cheaper way around it. Still, I think they are nice grills (not bloated monsters like the current Summits), especially with that stainless fix to the front of the firebox.

Yep. That was me. Has been awhile, but at least at the time, Dave said that it wasn't really feasible.

Yeah those flavorizer bars on that Summit are really difficult. I am not sure why Weber chose to move the crossover tubes to an area of the grill that required a shield rather than the older Summit where the bars were at the far rear and out of the need for shielding. But they require welding and such and much cutting and fitting after the stamping process which really adds up in production cost. Given my brother's methods of grill maintenance (basically none) I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything has held up. Burners were pretty roached especially crossover ones which surprised me since they're shielded. Have to give a nod to GrillParts.com though for having parts, and quick service at a good price.
One thing though................I had to order new igniter kit for him. It has a side burner and 4 main burners. All are lit from the main button. Which sends electricity to a distribution block. His block was faulty, and the kit I ordered was for a Summit without the side burner. So only the main burners light with the button. If anyone has a spare distribution block for a 4 burner Summit with side burner and willing to part with it please let me know.

Back