New Restore

Ron B

TVWBB Member
Good morning

I picked up a redhead Genesis 1000 off Craigslist to restore for my son in law. It’s in pretty good shape but I do want to tear in down and clean it up.

My question is this. I’ve read up on the topic but I want to confirm, when painting the side panels and firebox, if they are in good shape I don’t need to sand them, just carefully degrease them with brake cleaner, let it dry, and I’m good to paint.

Sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Ron,
Yes, if you have no flaking paint issues you can just hit 'em with a cleaning solvent like Brake Cleaner and proceed to paint.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. On further review there are a few spots that have flaked off. I don’t want to half a** it, so I’m going to sand them down. Any suggestions to make it easier?

I use my Bosch 1/4 sheet palm sander as it makes the job an easy one, especially compared to doing it by hand.

5zbxH3Tl.jpg

Jeff

I use the same angle grinder and 4" cup brush on the outside of the end caps and fire box, just like I do for the insides of both. It strips them down to the bare metal just like sanding. I can't vouch for whether it is easier or quicker than sand paper and a palm sander, but it will likely get into nooks and crannies better.

Back