Thread: Wind proofing a Q2200?

Wind proofing a Q2200?

I live in one of the windiest cities in the world and have been wondering about wind proofing my Q2200 by putting metal mesh (flyscreen?) over the side vents: the theory is that you get more protection from winds by having a perforated barrier than a solid one. Are there any caveats on this?

I would be afraid to add anything that changes air flow. Maybe just try to reorient the grill? Or perhaps you can add some temporary deflectors on the sides?

TVWBB Member
    Is your 2200 on a typical stand, or on a table top where an external deflector could be placed? If on a tabletop something similar to a drifta windshield could be purchased or made.

Most hardware or hvac retailers sell sheet metal that could be formed to accomplish something similar.
    Last edited by Mark B in STL; 10-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.
    Weber Q3200 home and Q1200 travel .
    Projects for sale: Q2200, Q200 & Q120

Quote Originally Posted by Mark B in STL View Post
    Is your 2200 on a typical stand, or on a table top where an external deflector could be placed?.
    It's on a typical stand with side flaps that goes on a table or deck. Yes, the airflow question did occur to me, so I think I'll try making a screen.

TVWBB Olympian
    I had some issues when the wind was blowing several times. I just cut some cardboard to fit between the handle and the body. Plenty of clearance but it certainly worked. And no, the cardboard never got hot enough to worry about.