BEST cleaning solvent and tool for inside Hood and grill box?? Oven cleaner??

MarkSiebel

TVWBB Fan
what is best cleaning solvent and tools to clean WAY STICKY inside GEN 1000 hood and grill box?? is oven cleaner ok?? thx!!!

Mark, get the razor blade holder with blade. It will cut down your scrubbing time by 3/4 regardless if you use dawn power disolver, oven cleaner, simple green or whatever. Believe me, I have done at least two dozen Genesis hoods.

This is very similar to what I use. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BRL59E8/tvwb-20

You can scrape it dry but it seems to work a bit better if you spray it with something first and let it sit a couple minutes, like one of the products above.

Mark, get the razor blade holder with blade. It will cut down your scrubbing time by 3/4 regardless if you use dawn power disolver, oven cleaner, simple green or whatever. Believe me, I have done at least two dozen Genesis hoods.

This is very similar to what I use. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BRL59E8/tvwb-20

You can scrape it dry but it seems to work a bit better if you spray it with something first and let it sit a couple minutes, like one of the products above.

NICE!! I'm on it!!!!

I am going to disagree with Bruce and Jeff here on this one, however it all depends on what you have access to.
I spray the porcelain lids on every gasser, kettle or WSM that I get with oven cleaner and let it sit for at least 6 hours,
or up to overnight if possible. Then, it's off to the carwash. I have my own pressure washer, but it's 2700 psi and I am
sure the carwash is at least 3500psi. Also, I just do not have the facilities at home to handle that greasy mess.
Anywho ..... after a $3 can of oven cleaner, and a good power washing, generally even the nastiest hood, can be
finished off in 10 minutes or less with a razor blade and some simple green.

As I mentioned in the Dawn thread, I am still experimenting with it, but as of now I have not gotten as good of results on the
porcelain as I do with oven cleaner. I will be picking up some of the Sams Club version of the Dawn tomorrow, so expect a
review of it sometime next week.

I think there are probably a number of effective ways to tackle these projects. They all sound better than my pre-TVWBB days of sandpapering fireboxes:eek:!

I am going to guess that the Dawn stuff excels on thick, still pliable grease/soot. I think when you have long burned on stuff, you may have to amp up. There is still a place for an angle grinder on some of those fireboxes. For the porcelain hoods and kettles the razor blade technique is pretty amazing, whether you use it as Bruce or as Dave suggests.

I am going to disagree with Bruce and Jeff here on this one, however it all depends on what you have access to.
I spray the porcelain lids on every gasser, kettle or WSM that I get with oven cleaner and let it sit for at least 6 hours,
or up to overnight if possible. Then, it's off to the carwash. I have my own pressure washer, but it's 2700 psi and I am
sure the carwash is at least 3500psi. Also, I just do not have the facilities at home to handle that greasy mess.
Anywho ..... after a $3 can of oven cleaner, and a good power washing, generally even the nastiest hood, can be
finished off in 10 minutes or less with a razor blade and some simple green.

As I mentioned in the Dawn thread, I am still experimenting with it, but as of now I have not gotten as good of results on the
porcelain as I do with oven cleaner. I will be picking up some of the Sams Club version of the Dawn tomorrow, so expect a
review of it sometime next week.

cool...have you ever had the color finish on the hood blemish w/ the over cleaner??

The lid is porcelain coated. It isn't going to discolor from oven cleaner. It is basically the same thing as glass.

Yes, that is it. I bought a case to cut the price in half. Works great on the sides, but not as well on the porcelain.

Dave,
Are you using the DPD correctly?

I used to sit there scraping the underside of the Porcelain lids & End Caps for what seems like forever using about two dozen Single Edge razor blades but the last three restores I have done I spray with Dawn Power Dissolver, let sit about 30 minutes, then lightly scrape with a razor and I am rewarded with a clean, gleaming finish.

This was my Junior after Dawn Power Dissolver-

Tfd8LZi.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
dave,
are you using the dpd correctly?

I used to sit there scraping the underside of the porcelain lids & end caps for what seems like forever using about two dozen single edge razor blades but the last three restores i have done i spray with dawn power dissolver, let sit about 30 minutes, then lightly scrape with a razor and i am rewarded with a clean, gleaming finish.

This was my junior after dawn power dissolver-

tfd8lzi.jpg

jeff

giddy up!!!! Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave,
Are you using the DPD correctly?

I used to sit there scraping the underside of the Porcelain lids & End Caps for what seems like forever using about two dozen Single Edge razor blades but the last three restores I have done I spray with Dawn Power Dissolver, let sit about 30 minutes, then lightly scrape with a razor and I am rewarded with a clean, gleaming finish.

This was my Junior after Dawn Power Dissolver-

Tfd8LZi.jpg

Jeff

Damn that looks nice. :cool:

Never had an issue with Easy Off. Though I don't recommend it on painted surfaces like the frame or fire box exterior. It's fine on the porcelain though

Back