1985 Genesis Jr. Historian Needed!! is this original frame on this 85' Gen Jr.??

I am no authority on the Genesis Jr, but I think Weber might be right.

Could that be a genesis 1? I think they were introduced in 1985.

i believe the GEN 1 is a 3 burner..they tried telling me that my grill is in a GEN 1 frame..BUT....GEN 1 width is roughtly 24"...this Jr. box only 19.5" !!! I've swapped frames for other rehabs before..but..this looks to MINT for a swap?? hummmm??

i believe the GEN 1 is a 3 burner..they tried telling me that my grill is in a GEN 1 frame..BUT....GEN 1 width is roughtly 24"...this Jr. box only 19.5" !!! I've swapped frames for other rehabs before..but..this looks to MINT for a swap?? hummmm??

I am not an authority, but that clearly looks like a legit Genesis Jr. It has the right controls, igniter switch and wheels. Particularly it has the short extension “arms” on the left. Great find!

I don’t think there are too many people at Weber who can competently help you with grills that old. I think you have the real deal.

10.4 my friend...I think you're right?!! what other mid 80s model would have been that small/Jr.? and even fit in the smaller frame width? and YES on the competency of weber srv. reps..often times I'm educating them!! I wish they'd assign indiv. reps per state...i always get diff. reps w/ varying knowledge of product lines...they're not trained to "think out of any kind of box" and only seem to sell what they sell and HOPE you buy their new lines...inferior to older E-310 and Summit models.

Mark,
Nice to see another Junior found as they are very hard to find.

Not sure about it being a original "T" frame but check to see if it has the four frame holes closest to the outside of the frame where most Weber's have their two frame supports. My Jr. has three holes drilled in each North/South leg support, maybe someone took off one of the supports and placed the remaining support in the middle? Does it still have the Serial # sticker attached? Juniors are tough to document as they only used Serial numbers that start with SL1 or SL2 then five digits.

What has got me guessing is the large wood boards used on the shelf. Looks to me an very early version of the Junior.

Either way nice find!

Jeff

yes..i've checked...NO other bottom support holes on all 4 frame posts...so..this frame was made ONLY for the T design...yes..its got a very vivid s# starting w/ SL1..so its confirmed a 85' Jr. I'm thinking this is just a way early model w/ no schematics so weber can't confirm/deny that it is an original frame? and per my previous reply, what other small size 19.5"w. model grill/grill box could even of fit on this frame? I picked it up from a grandma who lived in Mesa, AZ. She had no original owners manual, but, if I remember correctly, she said she was original owner!! Dirty as crap, but all original parts in great shape. hood/box very dirty..needed much TLC to clean. this of course I'll be keeping for personal collection once restored.

My guess is that grill is older than whoever you spoke with at Weber and they are looking at basic production. There are probably more people here with greater experience.
I tend to think that it’s genuine, might be a replacement set of slats.
Great find tough, no matter what!

I have to change my assumption. That is probably a stock grill and looks to be in really good shape. I will be looking forward to seeing the finished product if you decide to fix/clean it up.

10.4 my friend...I think you're right?!! what other mid 80s model would have been that small/Jr.? and even fit in the smaller frame width? and YES on the competency of weber srv. reps..often times I'm educating them!! I wish they'd assign indiv. reps per state...i always get diff. reps w/ varying knowledge of product lines...they're not trained to "think out of any kind of box" and only seem to sell what they sell and HOPE you buy their new lines...inferior to older E-310 and Summit models.

I think Weber is incorrect also and I am no historian but what else could that frame have been for. Take a look at these pictures notice the wide vertical slats on the side shelf, on the bottom they were wide horizontal slats. The bottom I believe had z bars for those wide slats if you look at the frame on the bottom left and right side sometimes those z bars make a mark when you pull them off since they were there for so long any indication if that was the case.

A lot of people did not believe that Weber used wide slats at one point but this thread proved that they did at one time for how long who knows you might have something really rare there.

Notice that one had a t frame also.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74050-1987-Genesis-II-Redhead

I have to change my assumption. That is probably a stock grill and looks to be in really good shape. I will be looking forward to seeing the finished product if you decide to fix/clean it up.

10.4 to that!! I'll post final pics when done!!!

I think Weber is incorrect also and I am no historian but what else could that frame have been for. Take a look at these pictures notice the wide vertical slats on the side shelf, on the bottom they were wide horizontal slats. The bottom I believe had z bars for those wide slats if you look at the frame on the bottom left and right side sometimes those z bars make a mark when you pull them off since they were there for so long any indication if that was the case.

A lot of people did not believe that Weber used wide slats at one point but this thread proved that they did at one time for how long who knows you might have something really rare there.

Notice that one had a t frame also.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74050-1987-Genesis-II-Redhead

NICE build there!! classic 87'....I believe the T frames were made til' late 90's, and yes...with your wider slats and mine in my pic its very possible Weber did use them on early occasions? your 87' GEN 2 is classic!! NOTE: the VERY rare, NO longer sold.. fuel gauge indicator/scale, black control knobs, 4 prong drip pan holder. one thing it appears to not have, is again, VERY rare swing table metal end bracket-support pic. below. i've found these mainly on 85-86 GEN 1/2 grills. I've also pic. below a 85 GEN 2 / rare brick red i restored and like an IDIOT sold it!! the holy grail...now gone!! took me weeks to get over that one.......

Mark, that thread was not mine someone else's really curious if your junior had z bars so you could do the bottom like the thread which I think would look nice otherwise it was probably just the wire basket in the bottom front.

Man I would LOVE to be able to buy one of those! But, your Jr. is equally special. It deserves a nice restore and a good home. (If you don't have room in AZ, I know someone in FL who could help:rolleyes::eek::eek:!!!!)

Mark, that thread was not mine someone else's really curious if your junior had z bars so you could do the bottom like the thread which I think would look nice otherwise it was probably just the wire basket in the bottom front.

Brian,

I am NOT an expert, and these really early production models keep us all guessing. Still, I think the Jr. probably had either nothing or maybe the wire rack on the front half of the split frame. On the very early Genesis I's I believe they did use to make a short z-bar that held two wide slats on either side of the split bar, at least on the higher up models. (I think the base Genesis I may have only had the wire rack.) And, they also had the wide slat top table(s) and fold-down table. I never saw the metal bracket Mark posted. Pretty cool!

I think that Junior would look real purdy with some wide wood slats running east west on the bottom.

I have a single wire rack from an old Gennesis 500 or whatever I would be willing to send if it would fit your grill and you want it. If interested, send me the L x W of the front part of the base and I will measure the rack to see if it would fit.

I have a single wire rack from an old Gennesis 500 or whatever I would be willing to send if it would fit your grill and you want it. If interested, send me the L x W of the front part of the base and I will measure the rack to see if it would fit.

you ROCK!! 26.5L x 7.25W where in WI you from? I'm originally from Milw. Leinies Orig bottle is my #1 beer of choice!!!

I am from Lyndon Station near the Wisc. Dells. It think Leinenkugel's is brewed up by Chippewa falls, No?

I just checked and the rack I have is only for a frame about 22" long and a bit under 7" wide. Sorry.

Back