Genesis Gold that has been hacked

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
Hi all:

There is a Genesis Gold on CL here in Las Vegas that had it's legs cut out from under it and of course is over priced. Crude angle iron legs added. I'm thinking of grabbing it for my son who has a bulk propane tank at his house. I would do a mini-refurb and want to ad some mobility to it. Green lid looks kind of cool. Not sure if anything else is missing besides the lower legs, wheels, and casters. Any thoughts? Here is the listing: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/hsh/d/nice-deluxe-weber-bbq-grill/6699789579.html

Just as an opinion, I would think you could find a grill in much better condition for $100. I'd look for one with an intact cart. If the cart is that bad, I can only imagine what the burners and flavorizers look like, and now you are getting closer to 2 or 3 hundred to get it up to snuff. I'd skip this one and keep looking. Just my opinion.

Slainte!

Tim

Seems to me the only reason to add those angle iron legs is because the bottoms of the old legs rusted out which seems strange in Vegas. I would be leary of any grill that has been modded to that extent and would definitely want to replace that cart if I did. I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 for that grill. But that is just me looking at it from a fix and flip perspective and that would only be if the rest of it is good shape. There is usually a reason they don't show the insides of the grills. Also, it looks like you would need a replacement for the main igniter button.

Thanks for the input. I'd only be willing to give them $50 at most if the bars and burners are ok based on what has already been done to the grill. That setup doesn't look too sturdy. I already know that an igniter needs replacement. Not sure of the age of the grill or if it a 5 or 13 bar unit either. It's been on CL for quite awhile.

Just as an opinion, I would think you could find a grill in much better condition for $100. I'd look for one with an intact cart. If the cart is that bad, I can only imagine what the burners and flavorizers look like, and now you are getting closer to 2 or 3 hundred to get it up to snuff. I'd skip this one and keep looking. Just my opinion.

Slainte!

Tim

Thanks to all for the input. Bruce, I think our postings crossed before they went live. I was hoping that this was a 13 bar, but so be it. Now I know how old it is, but not where it came from. Trying to get our son into a Weber instead of the junk grill he always is complaining about. Doesn't have to be too mobile since it is going to be tied into a propane line his contractor buried next to their back cement patio, but I needs the height and stability restored. Same with the bottom wire tray.
Not something necessary, but nice to have. I'm trying too, to get something I can do something with based on what I have learned on the Forum. My 2007 Genesis has been all the better for the knowledge base here! Even added the side burner with help for folks back in New England.

Those are really cool grills. The things that make them outstanding are the special Summit-based frame and the high side table/burner. Since the frame is horribly compromised and would not be easy to restore, I don’t see a lot of value in this particular example.

Oh? You don't have to beg Larry, I would buy that in a heartbeat but I'm too far away. It seems all the good stuff is in the Northwest suburbs. I think someone needs to start a delivery service to spread the love around. I see so many high end products from back in the day that one can tell come from wealthy neighborhoods. While we were cooking on fires and old Sunbeam grills on the South side these things were marketed to the best of the best. I think it's time to bring some of these beauties to light. You know, like the guy that couldn't afford a brand new Corvette back in the day but now has a good job and forty years later can finally afford one.

Don't get me wrong, I have a brand new 2018 Summit but I want the stuff I could never afford back then. Somebody please deliver this grill to me....Rockford is at least 90 miles from me.

Sorry, I have anxiety and cannot drive much like I used to.

Thanks to all for their thoughts on this grill. After a couple of texts with the seller, it became clear that there was a bogus story about the grates, why the legs were cut, and he didn't have the missing parts. My son will have to make do a little longer with his old grill. I'll keep looking, especially for a Genesis in the 2007 forward range (like what I have and now know inside and out) or an older Genesis if it has the 13 bars.

Those are really cool grills. The things that make them outstanding are the special Summit-based frame and the high side table/burner. Since the frame is horribly compromised and would not be easy to restore, I don’t see a lot of value in this particular example.

Back