Can you do 2 high temp briskets at the same time?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I’m doing my first High temp Brisket today on my 22in WSM and was thinking of doing a second on the lower grate?

Any issues with that? How much do you think it would affect cooking time or would he lower one get charrred too much?

The one in he upper is a 12 lb Costco prime packer and I was thinking of doing another choice packer on the lower.

For a rub I took the sugar out of wild Willy’s wonderful rub recipe and substituted Native New Mexican namibe pepper for cayenne.

Thanks

My big issue is that I didn’t get that invitation in the mail!!
That’s a lot of mass, it may go slower than you might anticipate so, make sure you have copious quantities of beverages on hand, you would not want to run out during the last hour!

Are you using an empty water bowl ? I think I'd want the heat deflection of the bowl.

What is your reasoning behind needing the water bowl, the added mass of the second brisket will slow heating.
I’d use the bowl wrapped in foil with a saucer anyway or is that what you mean?

What is your reasoning behind needing the water bowl, the added mass of the second brisket will slow heating.
I’d use the bowl wrapped in foil with a saucer anyway or is that what you mean?

Yes, an empty water bowl as a heat deflector. He said high heat cook, I knew he would not have water.

I would be concerned that a brisket on the lower grate without the water bowl, would be getting a lot of direct heat.

They both turned out very good.... I am a very slow adopter of this high temp brisket thing as you can see. I think I like the flavor that the sugar in a brisket rub brings to the finished product as well as the caramelization that cannot be achieved in a high temperature cook. That said everybody loved it both the prime and the choice briskets turned out marvelous. Thank you for the feedback

Back