Greetings from Northern Virginia!

Hubert Kee

Greetings from Northern VA! Was looking for more a forum based community aside from Reddit (/r/smoking). I found this board while researching just about everything I could about WSMs. Smoking, barbecue and all things low and slow have been a pretty big deal for me. I've been passionate for it for as long as I can remember, eaten BBQ all over the place and have several friends who also own smokers...yet...I hadn't made the investment into buying my own. I was so close to spending on a brand new 14, maybe 18 but I was still hesitant about putting down the money.

However, on one random day searching Craigslist...I came across (what I thought) a WSM for $50. There was only one picture and basically I had asked the basic questions, how old is it and what model. I had assumed it had probably just been sitting underneath someone's deck in the elements. However...$50...I said **** it because even if I have to replace parts this is probably the deal of the year. When I picked up it was pretty much as I thought, small amounts of rust from rainwater...and the usual dirt, grime and mold. I was more so checking to see if the main body was bent weird but structurally all the components felt aligned...and this smoker really just needed a power washer and TLC. The guy told me it was an 18.5 but I decided to measure the grates and found I had a 22.5. After a power wash, burn in and another wash it was all ready to go.

So now ever since I bought the thing, I've been researching even more. I think I'm all setup with the tools needed. I'm excited to join this community, share and pick up ideas and keep smoking!

Welcome aboard Hubert. That's a good find and should give you years of service. Lots of good folks here who are willing to help. Hope you become a regular here.

Hubert, you are in the right place. This forum is wonderful and everyone is more then willing to help with any questions. Get cooking and enjoy and don't forget to take lots of pics.

Back