used that rotisserie

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hey Bruce, I used that rotisserie for the second time last night. Spun me a nice chicken. As you can see also it's on that Gen 2000. A little off this topic. 1st we're gonna be up in your neck o the woods today. Going to meet our friends from the twin cities at Ishnala. 2nd for those of you wondering a little about my fast and dirty LP to NG conversion on that grill. I may still have to break down and mod the valves. I did notice at "low" the burners kinda "sputter" a little more than I would like and I think could be blown out by the wind. Much as I kinda hate to do it. Though because I actually "know" it's like that perhaps I may just live with it being extra careful to keep them just above "low" when doing a low/slow. Jury is out right now. As I get better at using the Q320 and explore it's capabilities it may make using the 2000 on LP superfluous anyway.
Also a another aside, I still haven't gotten around to getting the over spray (from my deck staining adventures) off the Wolf so the 2000 has been pressed into full service. Though in many ways I have to say I do enjoy rotisserie made on the Weber and conventional burners a little more in some ways than the Wolf and it's IR back burner. Both are really good though. However come dead buzzard day I may just pick up an organically pasture raised turkey from a local farm here and spin that on the Wolf. We shall see and of course weather permitting

YAR2W8T.jpg

aOn8eO6.jpg

Simply beautiful Larry. I bet it tasted great. What kind of seasonings did you use on it?

One thing I would suggest is to truss the chicken (Turkey) up before putting it on the roto. It holds in a lot more of the juices. I am picking up a couple birds today for spinning on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am going to attempt two 6 lb birds on one spit at the same time. Wish me luck.

Bruce, please show pictures of your two birds at the same time! I'm having family over for Christmas this year and am still working through what to spin for that!

Thyde: I am probably going to drop a Turkey on my roto for Thanksgiving. But, yah, my two 5-6 lb chickens will be like a small turkey. I will post up photos.

Just did my third bird Sat. on our silver A. WOW! Seems the silver a may be reserved for rotating.

Since getting the first 9890, I now have a spare motor and a new 7659.

We have a preference for the late Paul Pruhomme's Magic Seasonings. After drying the bird, a rub down with peanut oil and a liberal coating of poultry magic, makes for a beautiful chicken!

Leftovers tonight with fettuccine alfredo and broccoli. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Bruce, I did a double bird run of the Steven Raichlen “Peruvian” chicken and that worked out very well total weight was justa touch under 13 pounds. Should be fine.

Yep, I expect it to work out fine. I will be dry brining the birds today and then spinning them tomorrow.

Simply beautiful Larry. I bet it tasted great. What kind of seasonings did you use on it?

One thing I would suggest is to truss the chicken (Turkey) up before putting it on the roto. It holds in a lot more of the juices. I am picking up a couple birds today for spinning on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am going to attempt two 6 lb birds on one spit at the same time. Wish me luck.

I did "kind of" truss it but I just can;t figure out how to fully truss a bird. I am weird that way. I could never and still cannot figure out things like knots and such when I am fishing or docking my boat. My friends laugh at me.
As for seasoning, I have a small Cuisinart food processor that I LOVE. In that I put a little fresh garlic (maybe 2 or 3 medium cloves), some fresh rosemary, parsley, red chill flakes, black peeper (about 1/2tsp each) and about a tblsp of Kosher salt also about 1/2tsp of paprika and a little dried sage. I than whirl that into a paste with a bit of EVOO just added a little at a time to bring the stuff together as a paste. I poke the chicken all over (helps render fat out to crisp up skin) and rub the mix all over the outside and even inside the bird. Skewer and spin. I do like to let it sit like this though for about 30 minutes while I get the grill ready and smoking and the loner the better I have found. Of course center burner off and outer burners on med to med/low

Larry, I have one of those Cuisinart food processor thingies. I use it a lot. I just used to two days ago to grind up my dried Thai peppers into flakes. My wife puts pepper flakes on everything.

If you want to truss your birds, there are really many ways to do it. Just pull up a youtube video and follow along. I just kind of wing it however. hahaha.

When I spin my birds, I use the front burner on my genny with the V shaped smoker next to it. I it is on near full and I keep my grill at about 350 that way. Then I cook it to 170 internal temp and that takes about two hours with one bird. I suppose it will take a bit longer with two this time.

I will be putting them on this afternoon. Wish me luck.

I have done up to 3 chickens at one time and it really should not change the timing that much. Once the lid is down and the grill is "heat soaked" and stable all 3 or 2 should absorb the heat equally

That is kind of what I was hoping Larry. I am guessing you used the Wolf or some other big box grill for three at once???

Well, Larry and everyone else. I promised proof on the double chicken roto.

Youtube video. Press the arrow to start it.

With a turkey, I'd DEFINITELY use a grease pan. Probably check it a couple times too. Turkey is a greasy bird.

In any event, awesome Bruce! Did they take any longer than one at a time?

Slainte,

Tim

Are you sure those are chickens?! Damn they're uuuge :D They make the bird I did look like it had bulimia. As for dead buzzard I have never found them to be "greasy". No more so than a chicken they're just bigger and more stuff to leak out LOL. Way back in the day when my grandparents were still alive my wife and I would take our big Weber Kettle with rotisserie ring to their house and I would buy a duck. I would put that quacker on the rotisserie and get it to a nice hot fire banked to the side to get that skin crackling good and baste it with an orange brandy sauce I would make. They loved it. Lots of work for us, but there were no kids, we had a pickup truck and lived in Chicago close by. They were in the Gladstone Park area and we lived in Jefferson Park. I sure miss them :(
Anyway nice birds Bruce. Tell us a little more about your "dry marinade"

It is a dry brine Larry. Used in place of a "wet" brine of water and salt.

Here is the entire recipe I use:

HOW TO DRY BRINE A CHICKEN
If wet brines aren’t your things, dry brines are just as good, maybe even better. They’re easier, faster, and result in richly flavored meat due to only retaining its own natural juices. Here are the basics to a dry brine.
Step 1: Use 1/2 cup of kosher salt, two tablespoons of baking powder, and any herbs or spices you want and mix together in a bowl.
Step 2: Use paper towels to pat dry your chicken.
Step 3: Generously sprinkle the brine mixture over the entire bird, rubbing it into the skin, until the outside of the bird is completely covered. Depending on the size of your bird, you may not need to use all of the mix; too much and it may end up over salted, so don’t cake it on.
Step 4: Loosely cover chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 3 days.
Step 5: Rinse off the brine, pat the chicken dry, and cook. (Make sure the skin is very dry before cooking so that it will get nice and crispy.)
Add a rub or any spices to the chicken you desire. (I didn’t add any spices). Cook at 350 with smoke if you desire. Expect cooking time to be about 1.5 hours – 2 hours depending on size of chicken. Check with a meat thermometer for 165 internal temp.

Nice cook Bruce, birds look great. I like the idea of a dry brine as I'm on a salt restricted diet, thinking with a good rinse It may retain less salt than a wet brine. I'll have to give it a try, got three yard birds in the freezer. Haven't done a roti bird in years. I have a roti for my 2000 or the skyline except I have to get the motor holder for the skyline.

Back