Back Ribs

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
in the Instant Pot!!

Yah, in the Instant Pot. I only had 1 3lb rack of backs and had planned this for a while. I used my BRITU rub and a white sauce for a first time.

GI6LuX4.jpg

The problem I encountered was the recipes I found ranged from 15 min to 45 minutes!!!! Never having done this, I thought I'd go shorter than longer.

After 25 minutes (still turned out to be way too long--should be about 15 and no more 20 minutes). Next time. Was able to pick them up (in threes) with long tongs for support along the length.

7L63NVG.jpg

Now, ready to go on the grill (no pic though on the grill). Have to take my word for it.

yINNeYn.jpg

Had to break the rack into thirds as it was almost falling apart. Long tongs supported the pieces. Sprayed the meat side with a bit of EVOO so it wouldn't stick. It didn't.

And the finale: back ribs with some slaw and fettucini alfredo. Some vino to wash it all down.

0KFGqQ3.jpg

Lorraine does not like horseradish so my plate got the sauce. Oh my, was it ever so very good ! ! !

It qualifies for TVWBB because the ribs were "grill-marked" and warmed up on my Genesis.

Last edited:
I did ribs in my IP a couple times, I preferred the carnitas over them BUT they were good. How'd you like the white sauce? Did you make it as written? I'd go for a plate of that anytime

Had another sauce recipe Clint. Very similar BUT I did not use cayenne (my reaper and stinger obsession notwithstanding ;) .

You have to try it. It's delicious.

Very interesting, Len! Not sure I would have even considered that, but hey, why not?!? That's one way to have ribs on a Tuesday night, when you have very limited time. Sauce looks very interesting, too. Thanks for the estimate on the cooking time.......what did that rack weigh?

R

Very interesting, Len! Not sure I would have even considered that, but hey, why not?!? That's one way to have ribs on a Tuesday night, when you have very limited time. Sauce looks very interesting, too. Thanks for the estimate on the cooking time.......what did that rack weigh?

R

~3.25 lb Rich. The recipe said you could add another rack (I'm using a 6qt) but I think the total max weight for 2 racks would be 4 lb. in that size pot.

Time wise is a bonus. Takes about 10-15 min to get up to temp (quicker if you use hot water--I used cold), 15 min to cook, then about 40 to a complete natural (not manual) de-pressurize. The recipe I used had water, some ACV and liquid smoke. Both only go in the water. No bitterness that I could discern in the meat (from the liq smoke). House sure smelled good though :D

2-3 minutes on the grill (only need to do the meat side) and you're eating in just over an hour, depending on the "doneness" you want. Even then, you're only talking about 5 min for "more fall off"--which I don't). You do need to try it (like anything) to determine your level of "doneness" though.

My 15 minutes is where I'd do the next version. 25 min was way too much (could hardly pick the rack up after getting it off the trivet).

You could "blow" the bones off the ends of the rack, if you know what I mean ;)

edit--wanted to clarify. The meat was simply declicious flavour-wise. Not dry in the least. I just like it firmer than it turned out.

Last edited:

Back