Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advice HM Power

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Yeah if you're into the webui and it is saying that there's no HeaterMeter attached then I would start with that being your primary issue, because the blower won't run if there's nothing telling it to do so.

If you think there's a short somewhere, I'd start with measuring the resistance between 12V-GND, 5V-GND, 3.3V-GND and looking for anything with low resistance to give you a start of where to look. You can also check your MCP1700 3.3V regulator to make sure you didn't install a BS170 in its place, because that would exhibit similar effects. Verify you've got 3.3V at the microcontroller's VCC, RST, and AVC pins. Also check the continuity to the Pi on pins:
    SCK
    MIS -> MI
    MOS -> MO
    G25 -> RST

Finally verify that each of these pins does not have continuity to any adjacent pins. Not sure if you've seen this but this image might help trace out the issue, although it shows some voltages that are only accurate after the Pi sees the HeaterMeter. All tests can be done without the LCD/Button board to verify the issue is in the base. HeaterMeter can run without the board attached.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Thanks for the help I found some problems for some reason I swapped a BS170 for the MPC1700 at IC4 and a MPC1700 at Q4 on the LED board. I lifted both and replaced both and gave it a try and still no joy not sure what else I fried when I did this but I think i'm going to put this on the shelf for a while. Thanks again for all the help

Mike McW

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I am always surprised when people give up so easily. If you did not have the MCP1700 in the right spot you did not have the 3.3v required to run the ATMega. Lots of people have made that mistake and most of the time once it is corrected you are on the fast track to getting things running. I would hang in there, do some measurements on your HM board to verify you have 3.3v in the places it should be, if all good then boot with the rPi, be patient, it takes some time for the ATMega to flash.... the HM will reboot and you should see "NO PIT PROBE" and you are there.... If it doesn't flash after a few minutes image your SD card again and try one more time...
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

I'm not giving up I just don't have enough time work with it at this time. My plan is to put together another HM and use it to help me diagnose the bad unit. I'm going to be out of town until Dec so i'll get back to it then. Thanks again for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12