What about sides?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’m trying to do some new sides but, family has the “We HAVE to have” syndrome
Creamed pearl onions will make the cut but, what else will you nice folks be doing?
The norm here has been:
Apple sausage dressing
Mashed potatoes casserole (I’m tired of it)
Steamed Brussels sprouts (kid favorite, believe it or not)
Some sort of sweet potato thing.

Since the bulk of the prep falls to me, I’m leaning toward changing things up some and if people don’t like it, they can take the reins next year! Well... part of it anyway.

Maybe a sweet potato soufflé, sausage stuffed apples, chiffonade of Brussels sprouts with flaked almonds and dried cherries?
Yeah, maybe I’m just a little bored.

Besides dressing, mashed taters ,we also do mashed rutabaga, kugela and a pretty good corn and broccoli casserole that my future DIL shares.
Brussels sprouts get caramelized in a 425 oven with bacon, onion ,garlic and slivered almonds with balsamic vinegar. Mac& Cheese or some type of green bean dish are some other options that we used, and another protein like polish and kraut.

Tim

Since you mentioned brussel sprouts here is one our favorites:

Braised bacon beer sprouts:

2 lbs Brussels sprouts
6 oz. thick cut bacon, chopped
1 shallot, peeled and sliced
2/3 cruched garlic cloves
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup silvered almonds toasted
12 oz. bottle pale ale (we like a good crisp hard cider as a substitution, non-alcohlic beer or cider works too.)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Pinch crushed red pepper

Trim the ends of each Brussels sprouts, removing excess leaves. Cut the sprouts in half, leaving the smallest sprouts whole.
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and sauté until crisp.
Add the sliced shallot. Sauté another 2-3 minutes to soften. Then add the Brussels sprouts, garlic and craisins. Stir and sear the sides of the sprouts for 4-5 minutes.
Pour the bottle of pale ale into the skillet. Add the salt an both peppers. Bring to a simmer and lower the heat a little. Stir and simmer until the beer has reduced to a glaze and the sprouts are cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Top with toasted almonds and serve.

11118341736_de987f1fe7_c.jpg

15546307475_abcd22bc0e_c.jpg

15547191692_e18b0eb000_c.jpg

Fondant potatoes:

2-3 russet potatoes
1 cup chicken stock
3-4 tablespoons butter
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed
3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
salt and pepper

In a large heavy oven proof skillet over high heat, heat vegetable oil until it shimmers.
Reduce heat to medium, add potatoes flat side down into oil and cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
When golden, flip potatoes and add butter, garlic and rosemary. Baste tops with butter using rosemary as a mop let other side of potatoes get golden, 5 more minutes.
Add chicken stock to the skillet and place in the oven. Bake until tender, 25-30 minutes.
Top with fresh rosemary, salt & pepper and serve.

If doing a large batch you can sear the taters ahead of time in smaller batches. Place in half trays or full trays and then finish in oven. Adjust stock and add more butter accordingly.

44643245504_169a05ca4d_c.jpg

Last edited:
and shrimp and grits sounds good.

Heck yeah! Several years ago, they made an extra pan for me to enjoy over the Holiday weekend. I had a heater core go out on a Taurus and decided Thanksgiving weekend was going to be my time to pull the dash and change it. I remember getting it all back together and taking a test drive at about 3 AM Friday morning after Thanksgiving. Before I showered and went to bed I warmed them and enjoyed about have the pan :)

I’m thinking that cheesy grits might be perfect for Saturday after! The fondant potatoes are a project I’ve wanted to do for months but, it’s not the best thing for me but, it is a holiday!
The Brussels sprouts will need to be tested beforehand!

This is one of my fall and winter dishes I like to do.

Applesauce Sweet Potatoes Recipe

3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and slices
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup glazed pecans chopped, optional

Place sweet potatoes in a 4 qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix applesauce, brown sugar, melted butter and cinnamon: pour over potatoes.

Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. If desired sprinkle with pecans before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Makes 8 servings.

Glazed Pecans

1 cup pecans
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Blend pecans, sugar & butter in CIS stir constantly. Once mixture is smooth, add vanilla. Cook ingredients at least 15 minutes. Put on sheet pan to cool, then chop to put on sweet potatoes.

Enjoy. Barb D

Last edited:
Here are a couple of my Brussels Sprouts recipes.

Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Cranberries

3 pounds Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup dries cranberries

Preheat the oven to 375*
Trim/clean the Brussels sprouts, then cut them in half. Arrange on 2 baking sheets and toss with the olive oil.
Roast until brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and reduce until very thick.
Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the roasted sprouts, then sprinkle on the dries cranberries.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Shredded Gingered Brussels Sprouts

1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts about 5 1/2 Cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Trim Brussels sprouts. Cut sprouts lengthwise in half: cut crosswise into thin slices.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts: cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until sprouts begin to brown lightly. Add oil and toss to coat. Stir in onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Add water, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered 1-2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pepper and serve.
Makes 6 servings.

Another Variation:
Cranberry Pecan
Add 1/4 cup dried cranberries with the onion and ginger. Cook as directed. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. chopped toasted pecans before serving.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This looks like a great thread. We usually have the same old boring sides. I can change that this year. Keep these ideas coming. Thanks.

Well, with the possible exception of the pearl onions, all the rest of the traditional sides may be headed out the window for this year!
Thanks Barb!!!
After seeing your projects in the photo forum, all of which tend to make my mouth water, it will be fun to test a few! The shredded gingered sprout recipe might just need to be tested this weekend!

I always do Frenched green beans and bacon, but one year the local store near my in-laws was completely out of all fresh green beans. I did pan roasted asparagus instead. It was green and salty and everyone loved it.

This year, I am going to flip the script again and do nopales.
I suggest only doing it if its already pre-cut into small pieces (don't not cut down the paddles unless you have a bunch of time). Mexican/Latin markets should have it in bags in the the produce section.

Super easy...

Liberally salt it in a strainer in the sink and let the sliminess run out of them (10-15 minutes). Rinse them and add to hot water and cook until the pieces gets darker (a few minutes...maybe 5-7).

In another pan, cook down some fine diced onion and garlic in some oil (manteca, bacon fat, olive oil, your choice)
Add nopales to the pan with garlic and onion and sautee on medium for about 5 minutes.

They should be softer but still have a little texture.

Most people will probably think they are the best green bean pieces ever. ;)

What about Eggplant? JUST KIDDING!!! :D I enjoy serving Green Bean Casserole. Not the stuff our of cans (although I must admit I love that recipe too) but homemade, everything from scratch. I do it on the grill. It's a little bit of work, but well worth it when the guests arrive and dinnertime comes around. Nothing but excellent reviews from the family. Recipe follows photos.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

1 lb. green beans
1 Cup flour
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 tbsp Paprika
Salt and Pepper
3 Sweet Onions
4 Slices of bacon (more or less if you like)
About a pound of mushrooms (Use whatever you like. A mixture works well if you’ve got them)
4 big cloves of garlic, chopped.
Worcestershire Sauce (I used about two tsp)
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Cup Half & Half

Parboil beans in boiling, salted water. When just getting tender remove and stop cooking by adding ice water. Slice the onions very thin. I used a Mandoline. Combine the flour and panko bread crumbs. Mix in the paprika, salt and pepper. Mix onions in the flour mixture and toss to coat. The moisture from the onions will allow the mixture to adhere to the onions. Place in CI Skilled and fry in oil. Comes out better if you do in batches. Let onions drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean. Saute mushrooms and bacon in the CI Skillet until bacon is cooked and mushrooms are soft. I give the bacon a little head start. Add the garlic and Worcestershire Sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Sift in two tbsp. or flour and mix well. Add chicken broth and let bubble. Reduce heat to low. Add Half and Half and cook until it thickens. Not too thick! Add green beans and fold into mushroom sauce. Add about half the fried onions and fold them in as well. Cover skillet with foil and cook on grill indirect, around 375- 400 for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and top casserole with remaining onions. Grill for another 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Like the green bean casserole, I will have to show that to Barb. Thanks for sharing the recipe Cliff.

I like the casserole a la Cliff too!
Yes, eggplant will be the predominant vegetable at YOUR house maybe Cliff!
Good one.
You don’t say where the panko comes in though.

Sorry about that Timothy. I made a couple of additions to the recipe, including the Panko to clarify. I scratched out the recipe this morning mainly from memory. I'll review my actual notes from the original recipe later this evening. I'm pretty sure its complete now.

Thanks Cliff, I have tried so many recipes for GB casserole and been disappointed that it’s has been dropped from the “potential candidate” list. I might have to try this one! Thanks again!
Could you do it with eggplant?
Hahahaha

Back