What components are needed to convert a 4.3 non thermocouple heater meter?

Curt Douglas

I cheaped out and bought the non thermocouple kit version. Now I want a thermocouple. Besides the connector what are the surface mounted components on the back of the board? Are those all I need?

Also, if I can squeeze a slightly offtopic question in here. I have 4 thermister probes. Probe 0 (the one where the thermocouple would have gone) reads as 700 degrees F and slowly drops. The probe is fine, it reads well on all other plugs, its configured for the proper probe type in the web interface, I have the correct resister installed. Any ideas?

Working backwards, it almost sounds like you omitted the pullup resistor for probe 0 (one of the two that stand on end), btw, for the tc pit probe you need to omit that resistor, for standard probe you need to install it.

On the TC SMD parts, if you go to the HM Hardware sticky and click the HM hardware link (https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.3-Hardware), if you scroll down you will see the TC board parts list.

Also, you have another option to add a TC pit probe, that would be to build the Aux Thermocouple board that John Bostwick and I designed together (https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57...al-Version)&highlight=Aux+thermocouple+board)

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Aux board this morning. I'll check that pullup resister when I get home, could have sworn I put it in. 4 blue 10k ones, one per probe. The TC gets the 100k.

If you have a std pit probe you need to install both the 10K (pullup) resistor and the 100K resistor (part of the filter circuit)

OK, great, figured it was missing.....
Just FYI, if/when you connect a TC to your HM you need to remove that 10K pullup resistor from the circuit. If you want the option to use std probe plugged into the HM or external Aux TC pit probe shoot me an email at rotodamper AT Hot Mail DOT COM and I will send you some diagrams showing how to wire up a switch...

Back