Bruce's First Skyline Rebuild - Before & After

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I promised photos, here you go. Before and after. The grill is not 100% stock. You will notice several changes. Some subtle, some not so subtle.

N3GovmH.jpg

2X5ssy3.jpg

nMcPo5K.jpg

9LIo6ZI.jpg

UTDAYIm.jpg

uLG8Ols.jpg

lSU0Mlj.jpg

58L73uz.jpg

ENACFZc.jpg

Nice work Bruce! You continue to set the bar when it comes to restorations! So what'll be the asking price for that one? I say $400!

Bruce as usual what an excellent job what did you use for the high heat clear really makes the Weber logo with the red kettle stand out.

Sweet. I like the black curved end piece on the left gray table side. Is that a weber part? Is it plastic or metal?

A coupe more close ups
9LIo6ZI.jpg

UuHm3r8.jpg

Wow, Bruce!
That grill is fantastic and the logo is the best I have seen! Since I am still marooned in tax slavery, at least I can see what the idea of using the Silver end piece handle and tool holder looks like. I really like it. Of course, the restoration work is top drawer as you always do. I am guessing those grates are the new Qulimetal ones. What did you use for the flavorizer bars?

I don’t see how you are going to be able to let this one go, but definitely hold out for top $. I think the idea of it being a draw for customers even if they go with a cheaper option is pretty smart. Kind of like the Corvette does at a Chevy dealership:cool:!

After the 15th I am going to work on a Photoshop collage of our member Skylines:D. Maybe we can charge membership fees to be in the club:eek:!

Last edited:
Sweet. I like the black curved end piece on the left gray table side. Is that a weber part? Is it plastic or metal?

The handles on both ends are from a 2005 Silver B grill as are the black igniter button and valve knobs.

Bruce as usual what an excellent job what did you use for the high heat clear really makes the Weber logo with the red kettle stand out.

Rustoleum High Heat Clear 2000 degree. I ordered it from walmart.com with free in store pickup. It was about $5 or $6 for the can.

Nice work Bruce! You continue to set the bar when it comes to restorations! So what'll be the asking price for that one? I say $400!

I just got it listed on Craigslist: https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-genesis-1000-skyline/6721189951.html

The photos in the CL add will show the finished grill better than the before and after ones above.

Bruce that looks amazing! The black knobs and side handle really add to the look.
The tank cover really makes it perfect. ;)

I am glad you restored this one. Looks better than new!!!!

I want thoughts on the black end cap handles. The right one looks great, but the left one is designed for the thermoset tables on a 2005 Silver B. In the front on the left hand side, the handle isn't flush with the grill and doesn't quite look right. I am not sure if it is even noticeable unless you are looking for it, but I notice it. What do you all think? I still have the original small tube caps and can easily swap them back in, but I really like the idea of usable handles on the grill. The right hand end cap is perfect.

mUUbzcA.jpg

I'm liking those handles at the end. I know it's not "original" but a lot of folks don't know that and they'll see it as a convenience kind of thing. Also, it is a customized grill so I think that fits in well.

I want thoughts on the black end cap handles. The right one looks great, but the left one is designed for the thermoset tables on a 2005 Silver B. In the front on the left hand side, the handle isn't flush with the grill and doesn't quite look right. I am not sure if it is even noticeable unless you are looking for it, but I notice it. What do you all think? I still have the original small tube caps and can easily swap them back in, but I really like the idea of usable handles on the grill. The right hand end cap is perfect.

mUUbzcA.jpg

Bruce,

I had figured there would be a gap, but I think it is worth it to have a handle and also because it makes the whole grill look more "substantial" and finished. Those end pieces are one of the reasons I have always liked the last Silvers/Golds/Platinums so much. I think you should keep it:D!

Question:

How did you attach the handle so that it wouldn't interfere with the tray? I experimented with my current Silver C and found that the bolts that Weber used to hold the handle get in the way of the older slat type tray. The thermoset trays fit OVER the frame so the bolts are not an issue. I was thinking I would have to use some type of flush-mount screws instead of the bolts Weber does, but I haven't tried. How did you get around it?

Jon

Last edited:
Jon, I just pushed them in the frame ends and then drilled a small hole on the inside edge of the tube and put a small machine type screw into the hole into plastic end cap. You have to do it down low on the frame bar so the durawood tray doesn't hit it. That holds them in just fine. Basically, I replaced the larger 7/16" bolt with a simple screw.

Jon, I just pushed them in the frame ends and then drilled a small hole on the inside edge of the tube and put a small machine type screw into the hole into plastic end cap. You have to do it down low on the frame bar so the durawood tray doesn't hit it. That holds them in just fine. Basically, I replaced the larger 7/16" bolt with a simple screw.

Great minds (or at least grill restorers) run in the same track:rolleyes:!

Back