New love for my 18.5" WSM

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
6 years ago, I bought a Smoke EZ attachment for my Performer, giving me a 22.5" smoker. Soon after that, my 18.5" WSM door became unusable (long story). I never replaced it and cooked everything on the Performer/Smoke EZ, leaving my WSM in the corner of my deck at the mercy of the weather - for years. I cook on my bil's 22.5" WSM at the lake and was thinking about buying one (didn't need one, just wanted one), but instead, I rehabbed the WSM I already had. Wow, I forgot what a great little smoker it is! I'm using it 1-2 times during the week and every weekend - butts, ribs, chicken, brisket -and getting great results. My original reason for the Smoke EZ was being able to cook large briskets without "shoehorning" them in, but last weekend, I cooked a 16.5lb. packer on the WSM. I actually prefer it over the larger WSM. I still have a 22.5" smoker if I need it, but I have a feeling I won't be using it much unless I'm cooking for a VERY large party. I know lots of people are choosing the 22.5" WSM because bigger is better and it's only $100 more, but unless you need lots of real estate, the 18.5" is a good choice.

I've never not had enough room on my 18.5 WSM, yeah a big packer is tight but I only do one a year on smoke day. Everything else I do fits fine. My little 14.5 mini is my go to for smoking bacon and Canadian bacon the mini is so fuel efficient it's unbelievable.

I love my 18.5 too. My poor 14.5 has not seen any action since I got the 18.5.

I had a Smokey Joe and a stock pot and was going to make a mini WSM, but the 18.5" is fine for small cooks.

Good thing it’s getting close to dinner time.
Cooking indoors tonight and tomorrow to fulfill a spouse and granddaughter favorite.
But, with loins on special for $1.15/lb. (maybe 10-12” sections) roughly $6.00 each, I think I need to have a little fun with at least one this week. Maybe smoke off half dozen thighs to have some “on hand”?
We shall see...

Last edited:

Back