The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: New love for my 18.5" WSM

TVWBB Pro

New love for my 18.5" WSM

6 years ago, I bought a Smoke EZ attachment for my Performer, giving me a 22.5" smoker. Soon after that, my 18.5" WSM door became unusable (long story). I never replaced it and cooked everything on the Performer/Smoke EZ, leaving my WSM in the corner of my deck at the mercy of the weather - for years. I cook on my bil's 22.5" WSM at the lake and was thinking about buying one (didn't need one, just wanted one), but instead, I rehabbed the WSM I already had. Wow, I forgot what a great little smoker it is! I'm using it 1-2 times during the week and every weekend - butts, ribs, chicken, brisket -and getting great results. My original reason for the Smoke EZ was being able to cook large briskets without "shoehorning" them in, but last weekend, I cooked a 16.5lb. packer on the WSM. I actually prefer it over the larger WSM. I still have a 22.5" smoker if I need it, but I have a feeling I won't be using it much unless I'm cooking for a VERY large party. I know lots of people are choosing the 22.5" WSM because bigger is better and it's only $100 more, but unless you need lots of real estate, the 18.5" is a good choice.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I've never not had enough room on my 18.5 WSM, yeah a big packer is tight but I only do one a year on smoke day. Everything else I do fits fine. My little 14.5 mini is my go to for smoking bacon and Canadian bacon the mini is so fuel efficient it's unbelievable.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

I love my 18.5 too. My poor 14.5 has not seen any action since I got the 18.5.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I love my 18.5 too. My poor 14.5 has not seen any action since I got the 18.5.
    X2... however my poor 18.5 sees little action since I got the 14.5. Gotta have them both, imho.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

TVWBB Pro
    I had a Smokey Joe and a stock pot and was going to make a mini WSM, but the 18.5" is fine for small cooks.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Good thing it’s getting close to dinner time.
    Cooking indoors tonight and tomorrow to fulfill a spouse and granddaughter favorite.
    But, with loins on special for $1.15/lb. (maybe 10-12” sections) roughly $6.00 each, I think I need to have a little fun with at least one this week. Maybe smoke off half dozen thighs to have some “on hand”?
    We shall see...
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 10-12-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett