Insurance questions

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So we use State Farm insurance. As a company we are pleased so far with them and do not want to switch companies. What I am unhappy with is our insurance agent. A few years ago I found out he did some "coaching" to an adjuster to overlook hail damage to our home. Well this year we had another solid hail storm and there was new even further damage to the house, our second garage and even our AC unit. Last time I contacted the agent to get things started figuring he's supposed to be working "for me". Well I found out later they lose commission $$$ if the company pays out a claim on a policy they've written. So this time after even further damage this past May I bypassed him and went directly to the company. Amazing difference in service. Prior to the hail damage recently in September 2016 my youngest daughter was involved in a serious auto wreck. She was driving my little Saturn SL2 sedan and was slammed from behind by a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I am sure outweighed my Saturn maybe 2 to 1). She was sent across 4 lanes of traffic, over a median and landed in a parking lot across the street. I went to the scene and she started telling me she could not move her hand, and her leg was going numb and a few other issues. Even though she was only 800' from the doors of a hospital when I told the police officer her complaint he called her an ambulance. Luckily no major damages to her, (car was a total loss), so I asked the agent if I should get an attorney on board. His words................No all they do is take half of what you get. So the case stretched on for nearly 2 years!
Luckily State Farm themselves did much for us but our SF adjuster told me we got REALLY bad advice. So long story short..................Can you just change agents but not companies?

Larry I've been with State Farm for 54 years and have been quite happy also. I have changed agents five times with no questions asked. Find an agent you like and explain that you would like to change to him or her, I don't think anything will be said as they don't want to lose your $$$. It's just a computer adjustment to change you to another agent.

I've been with State Farm for about 4 years now. My agent is great and I've had no issues with him yet.
I hope you find one that you like.

Larry I've been with State Farm for 54 years and have been quite happy also. I have changed agents five times with no questions asked. Find an agent you like and explain that you would like to change to him or her, I don't think anything will be said as they don't want to lose your $$$. It's just a computer adjustment to change you to another agent.

yep - we've had State Farm for 30 years. Our original agent retired and we got assigned a new one. We didn't like him (didn't follow up on an inquiry) We like State Farm and the coverage - just not our new agent, so shopped a few new SF agents, found one we liked, and they switched for us - seamless - good luck!

I was with State Farm for several years, never a claim, then the premiums started getting pretty high. I called an old friend and asked who they recommended so, I went to Citizens for several years. I had never had a claim until 2013 with a big straight line wind event. It took out a piece of,my walnut tree and a load of fence, they were great!
Then things started bumping up a little bit every six months, I went to Farmers, I have had four agents in three years! I’m going to be looking around again soon. My confidence level in a company that has changed my agent that many times is not very high.

Well I think I will call around than. There certainly is no shortage of SF agents in the area

That's a really poor business model. They are incentivizing the agents to screw their customers over. While a good, ethical agent wouldn't do that, the compensation policy is a great enabler.

Shouldn't have any problem changing agents. The company as a whole isn't bad compared to many companies. They probably won't be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. I work as an agent with different company. We don't have any problem putting in claims for people. Doesn't affect the agents income. I have heard that claims can affect State Farm agents income which as stated above seems like a conflict of interest.

I know of several companies that try to only pay for material and not labor on storm claims. Many companies out there that are cheaper, but pay less in the end. Found one company that only pays 100% replacement cost for home on the first 25K. Then after that the payout is only 50%.

Also, every insurance company is going to have rate increases. Inflation helps to contribute to that. Among other things. Go with a reputable company and the cheapest is fine until you have a claim.

Feel free to PM with any questions. Not looking to try to sell insurance here. Just some observations for others to read and know about.

Back