Fish and meat in same smoker

Kyle Ss

TVWBB Member
Anyone ever try this? I recall someone (Harry soo?) saying it’s a no no but was curious if it’s as detrimental as some think. I don’t have the space for another wsm.

Harry is a bbq competitor so any outside "flavors" could adversely affect this cook when doing a competition. Should not be a problem for those not competing.

I've done salmon a few times, but not a lot. No effect that I can discern. Clean the grates and water pan and you're good to go. If you were to ever notice an effect, you would just burn-out the inside of the cooker and carry on.

When I first read this I thought Fish and meat in the same smoker> and at the same time.?
But no, and no you shouldn't worry about any cross flavors tainting one or the other.
Clean your grates and water-pan immediately after doing fish. Letting the residue sit for awhile absorbs into your built up seasoning on the inside and that can cause a stank.

Tim

I do it all the time. Make salmon at least once a month, as well as some swordfish. I think it adds to the seasoning. My whole yard smells great just by opening the lid.

I grill Salmon and Steelhead (and some Cod) regularly on my Performers. I always use a Cedar Plank. I know it's not a WSM, and it runs at a higher temperature. I have had NO adverse effects, whatsoever.

Just sayin',
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:
P.S. I would NOT disagree with Harry Soo regarding competition, not even close. However, for us ordinary mortals at home, I wouldn't worry. But, that's just me...rdm

I have been smoking salmon 3 or 4 times a year and other meats 15 to 20 times a year in the same WSM and have noticed no carry over. I echo others above -- it is important to clean the grill and the water pan completely.

I have been smoking salmon 3 or 4 times a year and other meats 15 to 20 times a year in the same WSM and have noticed no carry over. I echo others above -- it is important to clean the grill and the water pan completely.

That's about as definitive an answer as you could ask for.

Glad to see you posting, Griff. :D

Back