Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish and meat in same smoker

Fish and meat in same smoker

Anyone ever try this? I recall someone (Harry soo?) saying itís a no no but was curious if itís as detrimental as some think. I donít have the space for another wsm.

Harry is a bbq competitor so any outside "flavors" could adversely affect this cook when doing a competition. Should not be a problem for those not competing.
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

I've done salmon a few times, but not a lot. No effect that I can discern. Clean the grates and water pan and you're good to go. If you were to ever notice an effect, you would just burn-out the inside of the cooker and carry on.

TVWBB Fan
    I've cooked both in the same smoker, couldn't see a difference

When I first read this I thought Fish and meat in the same smoker> and at the same time.?
    But no, and no you shouldn't worry about any cross flavors tainting one or the other.
    Clean your grates and water-pan immediately after doing fish. Letting the residue sit for awhile absorbs into your built up seasoning on the inside and that can cause a stank.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Super Fan
    I do it all the time. Make salmon at least once a month, as well as some swordfish. I think it adds to the seasoning. My whole yard smells great just by opening the lid.
    2001 Genesis Silver B. 18.5" WSM 14" Smokey Joe Mini 22" Black Performer Deluxe

TVWBB Gold Member
    I grill Salmon and Steelhead (and some Cod) regularly on my Performers. I always use a Cedar Plank. I know it's not a WSM, and it runs at a higher temperature. I have had NO adverse effects, whatsoever.

Just sayin',
    Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    P.S. I would NOT disagree with Harry Soo regarding competition, not even close. However, for us ordinary mortals at home, I wouldn't worry. But, that's just me...rdm
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

My rule of thumb is whether or not I can smell fish oil a couple of days after cleaning the grates and pan.

YMMV
    Smokin' away in AK
    22" Red Kettle 2x18.5" Smokey Mountain Genesis Silver B Green

TVWBB Super Fan
    I have been smoking salmon 3 or 4 times a year and other meats 15 to 20 times a year in the same WSM and have noticed no carry over. I echo others above -- it is important to clean the grill and the water pan completely.
    Griff

Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I have been smoking salmon 3 or 4 times a year and other meats 15 to 20 times a year in the same WSM and have noticed no carry over. I echo others above -- it is important to clean the grill and the water pan completely.
    That's about as definitive an answer as you could ask for.

Glad to see you posting, Griff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast