Kettle Vortex'd Buffalo Wings

M Craw

TVWBB Super Fan
I want to first start by saying if there's anyone on here who loves chicken wings on the grill, but you've yet to try grilling them on a Kettle w/ the Vortex, you're sadly missing out. These, in my humble opinion, are the best grilled wings I've ever made, and quite possibly be some of the best wings I've ever had.

Marinated in Franks and put on the Kettle... This pic is about 30-40 minutes on the grill:
IMG_6210_1.jpg

Took them off the grill and on to a cookie sheet. Notice the fried appearance. These were so crispy and delicious. Zoom in if you can (ctrl, +).
IMG_6211.jpg

Tossed them in Hooters "hot" buffalo sauce and dumped them back on to the cookie sheet:
IMG_6212.jpg

I think most of us who use a Vortex for wings agree with your sentiment; I have not heard of anyone going back to any other method. Although I have a Santa Maria attachment and have used it for wings to play around, lol. Yours look awesome.

Thanks, guys.

LOL - Yeah, I know I'm preachin' to the choir on a forum like this, but I thought that there may be someone here that is on the fence about buying a Vortex and this might push him/her over w/ those pictures of the crispiness.

In short: Get a Vortex. :cool:

The Vortex and Franks strikes again! Those wings look amazing. I don't think I've had better wings any other way either. Thanks for the nudge to do them again.

Well, after trying the Vortex and chicken parts, I immediately ordered Vortex's for my kids! They are a bit pricey and didn't want any chance of them missing out on using the Vortex. I LOVE the Vortex and the kids do too!

I regularly do wings, thighs, and drumsticks. Easiest and best chicken I can do. Totally repeatable, with ease! Love the crisp skin.

By the way, M Craw, I have never seen better lookin' wings, than those pictured above!
Excellent job!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Those wings have to be photoshopped! They look like you just pulled them out of a fryer! My son asked for wings on the performer this past weekend, this post made me move them up several days on the menu!! Great job, the vortex is a great way to make some outstanding wings!
Tim

Thanks for the compliments, you guys.

I made them again last night (no pics), and they weren't *quite* as crispy as they were on Saturday. I'm going to log some notes and come up with an albeit nerdy and methodical approach, but a sure-fire way to do my wings on the kettle w/ the Vortex.

Great looking wings, they look perfect.
I love wings but here most of the time their north of $9.00 a pound so I don't get them very often. I have a vortex for my jumbo joe and performer. I use them for LA kettle fried thighs with excellent results.

Someone a while back mentioned Costco frozen wings as being very good and priced reasonable. I'll have to look into that next time I go to Costco.

Great looking wings, they look perfect.
I love wings but here most of the time their north of $9.00 a pound so I don't get them very often. I have a vortex for my jumbo joe and performer. I use them for LA kettle fried thighs with excellent results.

Someone a while back mentioned Costco frozen wings as being very good and priced reasonable. I'll have to look into that next time I go to Costco.

I have good luck w/ the Tyson frozen "chicken wing selections" as they like to call them. Walmart carries them for $13 for 4lbs, and they sometimes have their own branded wings for a dollar or so less for the same weight.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Nice Wings M, The Vortex is a very versatile little cooking apparatus.
Give a few of these a try.

Vortex beer can chicken.
WMSgbIm.jpg

Wings and Moinks.
A9hjP24.jpg

Rib roast on the spinner.

bC5lHl5.jpg

Back