What's your turkey leftover plan?

Kelley Brown

TVWBB Fan
I like the leftovers as much as the original meal! Here's my game plan. Not necessarily in order.

Turkey and dumplings.

Turkey gumbo.

Turkey pot pie.

Turkey enchiladas.

Turkey tamales.

I usually do 2-3 turkeys every year. One in the indoor oven ( stuffed ) and another on the WSM or OTG, and one more in the Charbroil infrared turkey fryer.
First thing I do after the crowd relaxes, is to get those carcasses going in water to make some stock.
I vac seal any leftover smoked wings,legs or thighs cause that's a nice addition later in the year to a pot of bean's and rice or as you pointed out gumbo.

Tim

I plan to not have any if I do things right! That is yet to happen!
Other than that, Turkey casserole is often on the menu for post crazyday shopping! Or Saturday’s dinner. Turkey shepherds pie is fairly high on my list if I have done enough mashed potatoes!
Creamed pearl onions will be in short supply as leftovers but, you never know.

I take the leftover turkey and cut it into 3/4 inch cubes and freeze in plastic bags. I put 2 cups of turkey in freezer bags and later use it for pot pies or add to gravy and serve over toast for breakfast.

Also, I "char" the carcass in the oven before making stock - makes it a lot more flavorful.

Ray

Last edited:
Soup is always a go-to.

Since getting married I have been doing more tacos/enchiladas/chile with leftover Turkey.

Last year I did two birds and didn't have much left.

I sure wish my family liked turkey soup! If I make a batch, I end up eating it for days, and that does not make Tim a holly camper.

This is a recipe I found and will be doing with the left overs.
Hope you enjoy it, it sound delicious and simple and a great idea for left overs.

--
Thanksgiving Leftovers Lasagna

Ingredients

Butter, for greasing pan

2 tbsp. bread crumbs

3 c. prepared mashed potatoes

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 c. shredded Gruyère cheese

1 c. chopped cooked green beans (or other leftover green vegetables)

1 c. leftover shredded turkey

1/2 c. cranberry sauce

1/2 c. Gravy

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8”-x-8” baking pan with butter then coat with breadcrumbs.

2. Mix together mashed potatoes and eggs until smooth. Spread about one third of the mashed potato mixture into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with cheese then drizzle with gravy. Top with green beans, turkey, more gravy and cranberry sauce. Spread more mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle with more cheese. Top with stuffing then drizzle with gravy. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the lasagna is warmed through.

3. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with more gravy, if desired.

Not everyone likes leftovers for days and days, but we love looking forward to all of the turkey leftovers.

Yesterday morning started with turkey omelets, then we had what we call Thanksgiving #2 (a repeat of Thursday's dinner).

Today is a turkey egg scramble for breakfast, turkey soup for lunch, then turkey tacos for dinner.

If there's anything left after that, I made up a casserole type recipe with turkey, tater tots, veggies and cheese for the Lodge skillet.

I’m going to make stuffed ribs. I found this recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Brown the boney side of two racks of spareribs. Turn one over and spread with stuffing, cover with the second rack and bake. I haven’t made it in a while. I’m going with one rack cut in two and smoking instead of baking but the concept is the same.

-Champaign Craig

I’m going to make stuffed ribs. I found this recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Brown the boney side of two racks of spareribs. Turn one over and spread with stuffing, cover with the second rack and bake. I haven’t made it in a while. I’m going with one rack cut in two and smoking instead of baking but the concept is the same.

-Champaign Craig
That sounds like a flat crown roast stuffed. I'd love to see some pics.

For lunch today, we had Thanksgiving grilled cheese sandwiches. A little turkey and stuffing, cheese on top and bottom. Gravy and cranberry on the side for dipping/slathering as desired. It was a hit.

This is a recipe I found and will be doing with the left overs.
Hope you enjoy it, it sound delicious and simple and a great idea for left overs.

--
Thanksgiving Leftovers Lasagna

Ingredients

Butter, for greasing pan

2 tbsp. bread crumbs

3 c. prepared mashed potatoes

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 c. shredded Gruyère cheese

1 c. chopped cooked green beans (or other leftover green vegetables)

1 c. leftover shredded turkey

1/2 c. cranberry sauce

1/2 c. Gravy

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8”-x-8” baking pan with butter then coat with breadcrumbs.

2. Mix together mashed potatoes and eggs until smooth. Spread about one third of the mashed potato mixture into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with cheese then drizzle with gravy. Top with green beans, turkey, more gravy and cranberry sauce. Spread more mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle with more cheese. Top with stuffing then drizzle with gravy. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the lasagna is warmed through.

3. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with more gravy, if desired.

Barb.
I made it tonight and it was delicious. Thanks!

Back