HeaterMeter.com will be down Monday Oct-8

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
On Monday Oct-8 2018, the server that runs heatermeter.com for the firmware downloads and images is going to be migrated from the VPS hosting in Atlanta to Miami due to the provider I use closing down that location soon. The new location means a new IPv4 address as well. We're all backed up and don't anticipate there will be any issues just moving the VM from one machine to another, but expect some downtime due to the transfer and time it will take for the DNS to update. I've got 0900-1200 set aside just in case something goes wrong though.

Migration is complete, welcome to Miami, que bonito es Miami!

The DNS might take a little while to work itself out, although I lowered the TTL on the entries a few days ago so they should expire more quickly. The new IP address for heatermeter.com is 103.214.69.18. If you're still getting the old address (104.223.92.144) flush your DNS in the browser, your PC, your router, etc until you get the proper address. Wowie there sure are a buncha levels of DNS caching out there!

Reminds me of one of my favourite haikus.

nh6LcXGl.jpg

Migration is complete, welcome to Miami, que bonito es Miami!

The DNS might take a little while to work itself out, although I lowered the TTL on the entries a few days ago so they should expire more quickly. The new IP address for heatermeter.com is 103.214.69.18. If you're still getting the old address (104.223.92.144) flush your DNS in the browser, your PC, your router, etc until you get the proper address. Wowie there sure are a buncha levels of DNS caching out there!

how do you flush?

Might be a little lever on the side, some oddballs have a little button in the center of the tank lid..... :D

By now, the TTLs should be long expired. If the cache entries haven't expired by now, you might have something else going on. A cache flush depends on operating system, in all honesty, I'd have to go digging, it's been so long since I've a problem with DNS. Under Windows, it'll be "ipconfig /flushdns" (might require elevated privileges.)

Might be a little lever on the side, some oddballs have a little button in the center of the tank lid..... :D

By now, the TTLs should be long expired. If the cache entries haven't expired by now, you might have something else going on. A cache flush depends on operating system, in all honesty, I'd have to go digging, it's been so long since I've a problem with DNS. Under Windows, it'll be "ipconfig /flushdns" (might require elevated privileges.)

lol thats what that button is for lol
will try the ipconfig, thanks

FYI, heatermeter.com is being emergency migrated again today. Two days ago the facility in Miami needed to take the whole cluster down to replace a piece of equipment. They apparently botched the setup which lead to downtime, then yesterday they attempted to remedy the situation which took everything down again unexpectedly (no notice) and my provider was so upset by their unprofessionalism, today they are migrating everything out of that datacenter to another facility entirely. Sorry about all this recent downtime, it's been a nightmare after being up almost 24/7 for several years. Hopefully, this will be an end to all the problems.

We expect to be back up by 10pm tonight at the new location.

Back