Zero Carb Turkey

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Normally, I use the apple-brine turkey recipe Chris lists in the recipes section. Since last "turkey season", I have adopted a zero carb lifestyle. Things have gone well on that front.

Haven't done turkey during this period. Now thinking about how to go about this, I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I can do a salt brine and season with salt and pepper and be fine. I'm just wondering if there is something else I can do that I have not considered here.

Appreciate any suggestions you offer.

I do whole chickens on my Genesis 1000 and rotisserie and all I do is a dry brine. They come out wonderfully. You could certainly use some additional seasoning on the bird before or during cooking as well. Be careful with adding additional spices though as the brine will already provide plenty of SALT. Use spices low or free of salt. Lemon pepper or rosemary would good choices IMO.

You dont have to use a rotisserie or gas. You could do it (turkey) whole, or spatchcock style as well.

Pure tender, juicy, delicious protein, no carbs there.

Step 1: Use 1/2 cup of kosher salt, two tablespoons of baking powder, and any herbs or spices you want and mix together in a bowl.
Step 2: Use paper towels to pat dry your chicken.
Step 3: Generously sprinkle the brine mixture over the entire bird, rubbing it into the skin, until the outside of the bird is completely covered. Depending on the size of your bird, you may not need to use all of the mix; too much and it may end up over salted, so don’t cake it on.
Step 4: Loosely cover chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 3 days.
Step 5: Rinse off the brine, pat the chicken dry, and cook. (Make sure the skin is very dry before cooking so that it will get nice and crispy.)
Add a rub or any spices to the chicken you desire. (I didn’t add any spices). Cook at 350 with smoke if you desire. Expect cooking time to be about 1.5 hours – 2 hours depending on size of chicken. Check with a meat thermometer for 165 internal temp.

Last edited:

Back