G’Day from Brisbane Australia

KMurphy

Hi All

I have been viewing the forum over the last few years and finally settled on building a Heatermeter. Kit ordered from Bryan Cheers.

Love to know how many Aussies are on the forum and using the Heatermeter.

Low and slow BBQ has only recently taken off Down Under I would say it has only done so in the last 7-8 years and is really gaining popularity - WBegg could attest to this I’m the lad from Kalgoorlie.

I started with a Traeger Pellet smoker and migrated to a Kamado Joe which is I think the best all rounder for what I like to BBQ.

So just wanted to say G’Day and I will probably be back on here asking the experts for some advise, I am more than ok with building the kit it will be the programming side I am not so confident with.

Thanks

Kyle

Last edited:
A brand new Heatermeter V3.4.3 is born.

Cheers Bryan I just need to flash it tomorrow can’t find my SD to Micro SD adaptor then onto testing this bad boy.

Awesome news, mate! You're gonna really enjoy the HM, especially since Australia has a much longer BBQ season.

Hi mate, I was going to buy a Smartfire but remembered seeing the Heatermeter forum a few years ago and as a reward for recently Quitting Smoking I needed a project to keep me busy.

Your right about the season. Living in Brisbane now I BBQ all year round.

I bumped into an Aussie BBQ team who are just around the corner from where I work and they were heading over to the States to have a go in the US BBQ Competitions. You’ll need to keep an eye out for them they are a big team in Oz “BBQ Mafia” they went to the American Royal in Sep..

So today is completed the Raspberry Zero W pin header. Put everything together and flashed it. I turned it all on and was waiting with anticipation for about 2 minutes thinking I’ve stuffed this up somewhere along the way as nothing was showing on the screen.

I forgot to adjust the screen contrast. DOH.

Once this was done “No Pit Probe” showed, Yippy Kiay I now have BBQ control.

I fitted a temp probe form a Maverick Ichef and it was reading about 30F high so I had to manually adjust the Ohms setting in the config to 20k as no support for the E757 probes and it worked perfectly checked in boiling water and it reads 212F.

Next step was to put together the Microdamper servo and fan. The first go had the fan working but the servo was juddering and doing crazy back and forward rotations. All Volt outputs, wiring and solder joints looked fine so I replace the Cat6 cable with another, required and works perfectly.

I’m going to runs some test runs in the Kamado Joe today so I would love to get some feedback from people running the HM with Microdamper what PID setting to start trialling.

I am amazed by this whole thing. Best thing I’ve made myself (apart from my kids) it works and has got me hooked. I’ve ordered another damper to be printed from WBegg STL’s so I can try it with the stock blower and have a backup.

Will posts some graphs once I work out the whole upload thing.

Back