Hawaiian Chili

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My wife found this recipe in last Sunday's newspaper. Sounded different and good. Decided to give it a try.

You have to have a pineapple if it's Hawaiian. :)

enhance

Pureed half and diced the other. Mixed.

enhance

Some of the chili ingredients. Yellow onion, carrot, ginger, soy sauce, chili powder, S&P, cayenne, red pepper flakes, diced green bell pepper, chicken stock and crushed tomatoes.

enhance

Oh yeah, kidney and pintos soaked overnight and some 85/15 burger.

enhance

Browned the meat along with the onion, carrots, ground ginger and soy sauce.

enhance

Slowly added the rest of ingredients.

enhance

enhance

Finally the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, beans and bay leaf.

enhance

Let it simmer for around 2 1/2 hours.

enhance

Baked a loaf of Sprouted Wheat Sourdough.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

This was really tasty. I was worried that the pineapple would dominate the flavors but it did not. Hope you're all having a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

That looks great Cliff, being a chili head I have all kinds of traditional and non traditional Chile recipes, but nothing like that. I really like pineapple so I might give that a try.

Cliff, I googled Hawaiian Chili and got a boat load of recipes but none had the same ingredients as yours. Do you have the actual name of it and what newspaper it was in?
Thanks
Rich

Mighty fine looking bowl of chili. Tasty, I'm sure. And since it's a Hawaiian chili, it's OK to put beans in it! Really like that bread.

How is the seasoning on your cast iron cookware holding up? Cooking over charcoal & wood chunks is destroying the seasoning on mine.
Am considering just living with it and using the cookware unseasoned. Seasoning is a pita, imho. Hate doing it over and over.

Last edited:
Cliff, I googled Hawaiian Chili and got a boat load of recipes but none had the same ingredients as yours. Do you have the actual name of it and what newspaper it was in?
Thanks
Rich

Funny, I was just retrieving the link to attach after reading your first comment. Here you go. It was out of Parade. It's a supplemental magazine insert to our local paper, the Record Searchlight. Have fun!

https://parade.com/691660/parade/hawaiian-chili/print/

Great twist on chili, thanks for sharing. It's still been hitting the 90's down here, way too warm for chili.

Funny, I was just retrieving the link to attach after reading your first comment. Here you go. It was out of Parade. It's a supplemental magazine insert to our local paper, the Record Searchlight. Have fun!

https://parade.com/691660/parade/hawaiian-chili/print/

Thank you sir. will be trying it soon.
Went from the 90s down to the 50s in a little over a week, low tonight will be 38. Plus it rained a nice steady rain all night more coming today and tonight. Chili weather is here.:D

Last edited:
How is the seasoning on your cast iron cookware holding up? Cooking over charcoal & wood chunks is destroying the seasoning on mine.

Seems to be doing OK Robert. I probably use our assortment of cast iron more on the grills that we do on our stove. We just wash it with warm soapy water and give it a swipe with a soft sponge. I never use anything metal in it, either cleaning or cooking. Have a number of wooden spoons for the cooking. After about every other cook I spray the piece down with canola and wipe away excess with a paper towel. That's it. Not really a bother at all. Probably not technically "by the book" but it seems to work here. Some of our original stuff has been in the family over 30 years at least.

Last edited:
Mighty fine looking bowl of chili. Tasty, I'm sure. And since it's a Hawaiian chili, it's OK to put beans in it! Really like that bread.

Am considering just living with it and using the cookware unseasoned. Seasoning is a pita, imho. Hate doing it over and over.

Robert, try food grade flaxseed oil and season it with that Sprouts carries it. I did all of ours with it and when they are clean and dry wiping some canola oil on them before putting them away. I haven't reseasond them in over two years and they are like Teflon pans. We also use them a lot.
You may have to season with the flaxseed oil a couple of time if their in really bad shape. I had one pan I got at a garage sale that was a total mess had to use a wire cup brush with my angle grinder to get it down to bare metal. Had to season it four times with flaxseed then cook some bacon a couple of times and now it just like the others.

Looks interesting Cliff. would like to have a taste of it. It feels like chili weather here the last few days. Rain, sleet & even wet slushy snow mix this morning.

Looks Tasty Cliff! Having lived in Hawaii, I've never seen pineapple in the chili I've had there! Guess it's like going to Texas and wondering why there's no beans!

You never cease to amaze us Cliff, bet the flavors of that Hawaiian chili were outstanding.

Back