Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawaiian Chili

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-R View Post
    How is the seasoning on your cast iron cookware holding up? Cooking over charcoal & wood chunks is destroying the seasoning on mine.
    Seems to be doing OK Robert. I probably use our assortment of cast iron more on the grills that we do on our stove. We just wash it with warm soapy water and give it a swipe with a soft sponge. I never use anything metal in it, either cleaning or cooking. Have a number of wooden spoons for the cooking. After about every other cook I spray the piece down with canola and wipe away excess with a paper towel. That's it. Not really a bother at all. Probably not technically "by the book" but it seems to work here. Some of our original stuff has been in the family over 30 years at least.
    Last edited by Cliff Bartlett; 10-07-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert-R View Post
    Mighty fine looking bowl of chili. Tasty, I'm sure. And since it's a Hawaiian chili, it's OK to put beans in it! Really like that bread.

How is the seasoning on your cast iron cookware holding up? Cooking over charcoal & wood chunks is destroying the seasoning on mine.
    Am considering just living with it and using the cookware unseasoned. Seasoning is a pita, imho. Hate doing it over and over.
    Robert, try food grade flaxseed oil and season it with that Sprouts carries it. I did all of ours with it and when they are clean and dry wiping some canola oil on them before putting them away. I haven't reseasond them in over two years and they are like Teflon pans. We also use them a lot.
    You may have to season with the flaxseed oil a couple of time if their in really bad shape. I had one pan I got at a garage sale that was a total mess had to use a wire cup brush with my angle grinder to get it down to bare metal. Had to season it four times with flaxseed then cook some bacon a couple of times and now it just like the others.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    That looks delicious, Cliff!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Yes, Cliff we will be doing it real soon. That looks delicious.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Looks interesting Cliff. would like to have a taste of it. It feels like chili weather here the last few days. Rain, sleet & even wet slushy snow mix this morning.
    18.5 one touch, 22.5 Performer, Weber go anywhere grill, Weber Bronc smoker, 18.5 WSM
    Med. green egg, PBC, 414 Suburban Hasty Bake, The Good-One Open Range, & M1.

Looks Tasty Cliff! Having lived in Hawaii, I've never seen pineapple in the chili I've had there! Guess it's like going to Texas and wondering why there's no beans!
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

I would like to try with the chunks only just to see..... it sounds good!

You never cease to amaze us Cliff, bet the flavors of that Hawaiian chili were outstanding.
    Bacon....the duct tape of the Gods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12