Tiny Pic off line:(

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
TinyPic.com has been offline for almost a day now. All my picture links are dead:mad::(...

Not sure yet if this is temporary, but it seems that our friends at Photobucket own TinyPic as well, so that doesn't bode too well. I guess you all that use Imgur picked better than me.

The one thing for all of us is that these sites have gotten themselves into a bad spot. People expect it all to be completely free but the massive storage space - and computer programming/web hosting, etc. - are NOT free. It may be that it is just not practical to make these things operate for the long run without at least some kind of a user fee.

If TinyPic pulled the plug, it sure would have been nice of them to give at least a little notice:(.

I will start looking into Imgur like most of the rest of you.

Advertising. That is why broadcast TV is free. As long as they can make money off advertising, they can offer the hosting for free. Hopefully, it doesn't all wind up going the way of Photobucket.

I find this “off axis” photo hosting more trouble than I feel it is worth. I understand the extra expense to the site holder but, I’m not learning a new set of photo rigamarole to show a rack of ribs.
Sorry Chris, just the way I see this one.

TinyPic.com has been offline for almost a day now. All my picture links are dead:mad::(...

Not sure yet if this is temporary, but it seems that our friends at Photobucket own TinyPic as well, so that doesn't bode too well. I guess you all that use Imgur picked better than me.

The one thing for all of us is that these sites have gotten themselves into a bad spot. People expect it all to be completely free but the massive storage space - and computer programming/web hosting, etc. - are NOT free. It may be that it is just not practical to make these things operate for the long run without at least some kind of a user fee.

If TinyPic pulled the plug, it sure would have been nice of them to give at least a little notice:(.

I will start looking into Imgur like most of the rest of you.

Well Photobucket pulled the plug and you are correct they owned TinyPic go with Imgur which is what many of us use really can't trust Photo anymore. Having said that not to say Imgur won't pull the plug down the road either.

Don't know how free is sustainable as you said in the technology business nothing generally survives for free. I have had at least 2 free cloud providers that I used for my laptop both gone so just went to Google and Microsoft to back up my files and pictures 15 GB at least they will be around.

Last edited:
Jon,
Hopefully tinypic will be back up for you soon.

I made the switch from Photobucket to Imgur when PB wanted to start charging for their services. I am more than happy with Imgur and find myself checking out the "gifs"more often than I should.

Jeff

Last edited:
Jon, I have tried about every free host that has come and gone over the last 20 years.
IMGUR is far and away the best I have ever used. Register, then spend 20 minutes watching
some "how to" IMGUR on youtube, and you will up and running like a pro.

Jon, I have tried about every free host that has come and gone over the last 20 years.
IMGUR is far and away the best I have ever used. Register, then spend 20 minutes watching
some "how to" IMGUR on youtube, and you will up and running like a pro.

Agreed that imgur is the best. FYI, you can post without registering.

After 22 hours, TinyPic.com reappeared. It looks like my links returned.:) - at least for the time being.

However, during the outage I signed up with Imgur and plan to start using that going forward. I have my doubts now about TinyPic, and I am just glad that I have all the pictures I posted there also on my own computer (backed up as well).

Back