Oops! I painted the inside.

BLumsdon

Just picked up a really nice Genesis 2000 from I believe the mid 90's. I pressure washed it yesterday and then hit it with some Rustoleum High Heat Grill paint. And yes I did the inside of the fire box too. I was just looking through some pages on restorations here and saw that your not supposed to do that. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest grinding the paint off of the inside of the box.

A wire cup brush on a grinder will make quick work of it.
That's how I clean the baked on grease/carbon off of the inside of the fireboxes.

Honestly I think if you burn it off really well you may be fine. You could use a cup wheel and take it off as well

To be safe, probably best to grind it off with angle grinder and wire cup brush. You could burn it off, but I suspect you used high heat paint and that stuff can be rated as high as 2000 degrees (Rustoleum High Heat). You will probably be able to get some of the areas near the burners that hot, but most of it will likely be immune to burning off and will slowly burn during hot cooks which will release toxins. Best to get it off first.

You could try some Xylol solvent. I know Rustoleum High Heat will melt off with that stuff. Then, a good burn in should burn off all the residual Xylol. I use it to clean up my cook boxes after I grind them with the angle grinder. It evaporates immediately and a quick burn off after putting the grill back together removes any remaining traces of it.

EifOe1P.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely not! Looks like a nice grill with plenty of work space. Don't feel bad about the inside mistake; we have all made some good ones:rolleyes:. Get her all fixed up and ENJOY!

That grill is in incredible shape for a free one, and I personally LOVE the 2000, which is my personal grill. Great find, don't worry about the paint mistake, fix it and move on with your life: it's no big deal. You could probably just scrape the paint off. Like many have said, a 30 minute high heat treatment will rid that grill of its demons.

Back