Turkey Talk Now Open for 2018!

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
The Turkey Talk Forum is now open for the 2018 holiday season, ready to take all your grilled and smoked turkey questions! No question too big or small, we answer them all!

Gobble gobble,
Chris

I might have to go to my mom's this year. Last time I lugged my kettle and cooked the bird. No offense to dear ol' ma but I'm probably going to have to do it again!

Funny, I was thinking about this very thing three days ago!
I know the family feast will be here so, I’m glad I don’t need to try to haul a kettle, smoker, and all the related equipment.
Probably will plan for twelve, that way, I can feed almost 20 if unexpected guests surprise me!.
I always err on the side of too much!

I did a creole injection and seasoning last year and my family thought it was the best turkey they'd ever had. I could do that again but sort of want to try something different. Do the brine recipes work for injecting as well?

Considering doing two, one fried, one kettle, depending on the guest list. I might have my sister and BIL in from out of town but, still up in the air. I’m going to start working on the menu this weekend! I know two sides but, there is so much more to consider!
Dessert? Well, I have a fabulous Dutch pastry shop just down the hill!

I'll be spatchcocking that bird. Dry brine with an injection of some sort. Excited to not be traveling and cooking at home! Made one this way for our small bowling league last year. People wanted more. Creole butter was injected last year with the dry brine. Seasoned underneath and on top of skin for some color.

I'm curious to see what others are doing.

The injection sounds good, I have not had much success with them. I inject and it seems to just squeeze right back out! Am I doing something wrong?
I will probably do a maple/cider brine (not injecting) of some sort. Then kettle it, there is a possibility of deep frying a ham as well but, that’s still in the planning stage.
I have plenty of planning time so, who knows what I’ll end up with!

I did a creole injection and seasoning last year and my family thought it was the best turkey they'd ever had. I could do that again but sort of want to try something different. Do the brine recipes work for injecting as well?

Depends if it's a fresh or pre-pumped bird, salt content would be my concern.:)

Tim

Rich, the first one you linked is one I have done, more or less a couple of years back thanks for pushing that to the front for me again!
The one from Weber looks pretty good too, a little simpler brine but, I remember the other one being really well received!
Something to consider to be sure.

This worked really well the last couple of years so I'll be doing it again. I'll be brining with the Whole Turkey - Apple Brine recipe posted here in Cooking Topics. The cavity will be stuffed with orange slices and twigs of rosemary, and the breast iced down before the cook. The aromas are sublime.

Been looking for a not frozen bird for months and haven't found 1 yet,I suspect within the next 2 weeks they will hit the stores

Back