Necessary to Season Stainless?

Robert.K

Ok, folks. Based on prior feedback, the fix is in and my stainless grates, flavorizer bars and heat sheilds are on the way.

Does the stainless steel require the same (or other) preparation as the porcelain or iron grates, or are they good to go out of the box?

Robert,

No, I don't think you need to do anything but wash it in soap and water the first time to clean off factory residue and then let it get good and hot to burn off anything left.

I do put some grill Crisco spray (grill Pam works, too) on before grilling, but that is just a preference. If you use that, it is a great idea if you are able to lift the cold grates out of the grill and spray them where the stuff that misses won't hurt anything. If you spray right on the grill, it does start accumulating on your flavorizer bars. Of course the better and classier way is to season your grates using oil and some kind of applicator. I am too lazy most of the time:eek:, so I just have to clean my grill more often!

A last word: The stainless bars looks so nice and shiny when you get them brand new. Take a few pictures before your first cook to enjoy for posterity. They won't look that way again, and there is no reason to expect them to. Grills are for grilling, and some dark seasoning on the stainless grates is AOK. I am not talking about leaving crudded-up food on your grates. But, with use they will turn mostly black - and that is perfectly normal, even great for grilling.

Yah, just clean them off either with soap and water or put them in the dish washer. Then maybe just some oil to start them out and keep the meat from sticking. Some seasoning in between cooks won't hurt, but I just spray a little cooking spray on my meat before I plop it down on my hot stainless grates and it works well for me that way.

Over time, the black residue that will develop on the stainless is actually a protective layer of carbon that will cause your food not to stick on the grates. This is a good thing. Like said above, you don't want food particles, but you do want black caribonized steel. It helps "lube" the food on the grates and in the universe of cooking breakfast potatoes is a prized sheen on frying pans.

THyde, Jon, and Bruce advice is spot on. Don't be disappointed if you have a little food sticking your first few cooks. After that black/grayish protective layer builds up after just a few uses it will be fine. For the first few times you could oil the grates or your food to minimize sticking.

Also the chargon tool is simply the best way to clean round stainless grates IMHO.

Absolute best and easiest also fastest way to clean the stainless grates is wire brush them hot and than hit them with a wet towel. The steam will blast off anything remaining and leave them nearly shiny. Takes all of a minute or so

I just got the Chargon, and I like it a lot. It gets the bars really clean, and it'll never wear out. Edit: I'm using it on RCP grates.

Back