Thread: I screwed up on assembly

I screwed up on assembly

So I screwed up and put the dip socket on backwards on the base board. Instead of desoldering all the pins to turn it around, would it be possible to just reverse the chip that goes in it? Just wondering.

If by backwards you mean it's on the correct side of the board but the half moon divit is pointing north-east instead of south-west, no problem. The ATMEGA will still fit into it.

If you soldered it to the wrong side of the PCB, that will require some re-soldering.

It is on the correct side of the board just backwards. Do I still line up the divots between the socket and chip, or put the chip in backwards? Thank you for the help

TVWBB Member
    You will need to put the chip in backwards compared to the divot in the socket, in other words put the chip in the correct orientation to the circuit, not the socket. There will be no issues.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Align the divot on the chip with the divot on the box that is screen printed on the board....
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Well turns out I was wrong. I thought it was the dip socket on the main board that I screwed up, I was wrong. It was actually the little texas instrument chip on the button board that i installed wrong. I know I'm going to have to desolder and reverse it.

It is a slow process getting thos thing put together, but i will eventually get it all together. I'm over half way there.