The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Hanging food in 14.5" - possible?

Hanging food in 14.5" - possible?

I'm one really happy user of the 14.5" in general, but always looking for ways to increase its capacity for special occasions. Especially with ribs, cutting them and using 2 rib racks, still the maximum I could cook was like 2 slabs and I already had slight problems with air flow... I have also recently read about how the Pit Barrel Cooker cooks food slightly differently by hanging stuff and using no deflector above the fire, ending up with special results and it made me really curious.

It also made me wonder, would it be possible to use the WSM 14.5 the same way, having an open fire without the water pan and hanging food in it? Maybe it would also help increasing its capacity? If I could hang like 3 or 4 slabs of ribs in it, that would make me one happy camper

Does anyone have experience with hanging food in the 14.5? Is there maybe such an existing product achieving this? Would the height of this small cooker be enough at all for such a plan? Thanks!

If you search within the forums this has been talked about already. Some people have made similar hanging racks to then use in their smokers of differing sizes.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?743...hlight=hanging

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?732...hlight=hanging

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?571...hlight=hanging

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?647...hlight=hanging
    Haz
    MiniWSM -

Yes, I've seen some of these but I'm especially interested in hanging in the 14.5" and I wasn't able to find too many references to this. I'm mostly interested in other 14.5" users' openion and experiences, luckily there are quite a few us around running the smallest WSM

Here is hanging brisket in 14.5 wsm

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?706...hlight=hanging

Yes I run a miniWSM i made myself. Looking at making my own rotisserie setup with a metal ring.
    Haz
    MiniWSM -

18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Thank you Robert, these are all really, really impressive posts! I would ask for instructions about making the hanging rack, but honestly, I think I both lack the tools and the skills to build one myself. Need to consult some local friends having more of both..

The question remains though, would it make sense to get/build a hanging rack if I don't plan to have a stacker? I'm slightly worried about the low height of the 14, I'm not sure if ribs could fit within the available height inside that cooker.

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I think the only way to get enough height would be to stack, maybe you can find a second 14.5” to raid a center section from or at least “borrow” it for a cook to see if the technique would work for you.
    Just a thought.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof Jozsa View Post
    Thank you Robert, these are all really, really impressive posts! I would ask for instructions about making the hanging rack, but honestly, I think I both lack the tools and the skills to build one myself. Need to consult some local friends having more of both..

The question remains though, would it make sense to get/build a hanging rack if I don't plan to have a stacker? I'm slightly worried about the low height of the 14, I'm not sure if ribs could fit within the available height inside that cooker.

Thank you, Kristof. One pretty much needs a stacker to utilize a hanging rack, especially for ribs. Timothy's suggestion for obtaining a second 14.5 cook chamber is quite helpful.
    You might see if you can find a 16 gallon barrel that would work, however you would still need to fabricate one of more of the end pieces.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker