Passing on a Redhead.

AndrewN

I wonder how many members would turn there nose up at the chance to get a, what I assume to be a red lid 1000, for $60. Pretty nice shape, but needing FB's. Cast grates and wood in fair condition, and wire bottom shelf. I think it would need more also, like igniter and at least crossover tube.

Would this be a dumb thing to pass on?

Already have an '05 silver A and a silver B.

Does a swing up shelf denote 1000 or 2000?

Having a hard time justifying the two hour drive- one way.

It is moot now anyway.

Last edited:
Andrew, over the last two summers, I have bought probably a half dozen red head Genesis 1000's. I have yet to pay more than $50 for one. You will see more and likely for a better price and probably closer to you. It seems they are more popular in my area than some others around the country, but they are not as rare as a DODO bird. The swing up table can be on a 1000. In fact, I think they all came with the one on the left, but sadly, many of those older grills are just missing the swing up table. I spent over a year looking for a Blue Head and suddenly this spring, I had three in my drive way in a month.

Don't give up and don't over spend. Keep your eyes on craigslist and Facebook market place and you will find your "holy grail".

Andrew, over the last two summers, I have bought probably a half dozen red head Genesis 1000's. I have yet to pay more than $50 for one. You will see more and likely for a better price and probably closer to you. It seems they are more popular in my area than some others around the country, but they are not as rare as a DODO bird. The swing up table can be on a 1000. In fact, I think they all came with the one on the left, but sadly, many of those older grills are just missing the swing up table. I spent over a year looking for a Blue Head and suddenly this spring, I had three in my drive way in a month.

Don't give up and don't over spend. Keep your eyes on craigslist and Facebook market place and you will find your "holy grail".

Well, I'm new to the forum and new to gassers but I bought a Redhead 1000 with S/S tubes, nice wood on only one shelf for $40 and then bought another 1000LX for $35 with cast iron grates(new)all gray wood and a frame that is without rust save one corner. I'm now working on all of the mixing of the right parts from each -- but the bottom line is: I'm $75 in plus all the fun of restoring a wonderful grill. I look every day for another just for the game of having fun and keeping he old grills alive.Don't buy new when you can save an old grill. My 2 cents

Andrew,
You have already gotten good advice from a seasoned pro and a newer member, too. I will add just a bit...

This hobby can quickly become a fever clouding your judgment on what to buy and what to pass on. I have made a few long trips for pieces of junk and bought grills “I just couldn’t pass up” only to regret the purchase. But I have also made some great acquisitions, too. You observation about distance is well taken. A week ago there was a natural gas first generation Summit for only $50. I can’t use natural gas and conversion would have been a long shot. The grill did, however, have THICK 304 stainless bar grates that would have made an awesome addition for one of my Genesis grills. To get it would have required a six hour plus round trip, gas accordingly, and lost time from working or keeping my marriage on track. So that grill fo $50 was really not a bargain for me at all. But if it had been 10 minutes away - a whole different story.

Likewise, you also were on it to consider the restorability of the key parts and replacement costs for what was missing or clearly shot. So, this redhead probably wasn’t the right one, but as Bruce has pointed out there will definitely be others. Hunting for them is part of the fun.

I think you take the time to buy/get the grills you have the time and money to get.

As Bruce recently said to Larry:
There will always be another grill. I don't think there are a lot of specimens out there that are so unique that they will never be seen again. If the time ain't right or the situation or the deal ain't right, it ain't right. That is what I have come to learn in my days of chasing grills and grill parts.

Sage words of an experienced grill enthusiast and restorer.

Back