Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Wexler's Deli
at Grand Central Market
317 S. Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013
https://wexlersdeli.com/

As I prefaced my review of Langer's Deli in L.A., I'm going to exercise my prerogative as moderator to include Wexler's Deli in the BBQ Restaurant Directory even though it's not a barbecue restaurant because of Wexler's world-class pastrami...and many of us make pastrami in our backyard smokers...so there.

Wexler's Deli is touted as one of the best sources, if not THE BEST source, for pastrami in Los Angeles these days. That's saying a lot, because LA has a long history of great pastrami as discussed in this article from KCET and this article from Serious Eats.

I visited Wexler's at Grand Central Market during a recent vacation swing through Southern California. The "O.G." pastrami sandwich was everything I'd hoped for...a generous amount of brisket, tender, moist, and a pronounced but not overwhelming apple wood smoke flavor. In fact, Wexler's is the only deli in LA that smokes its own pastrami in-house.

The sandwich is simply hand-carved pastrami on rye bread with spicy mustard, but since I'm not a rye fan (sorry traditionalists) I had it on a Kaiser roll and it was delicious. One of the best pastrami sandwiches I've ever had. Was it better than the one I had a Langer's? Don't make me choose!

Wexler's also does lunch sandwiches with corned beef and turkey, some breakfast sandwiches on bagels, and a few bagels with smoked fish. Simple sides of chips, cole slaw, potato salad, pickles of course, and a black & white cookie and chocolate babka for dessert.

When you're at Grand Central Market, you've got to make Wexler's Deli one of your stops!

Here are a few photos...enjoy!

D4i5WUl.jpg

Grand Central Market sign.

sUrPcTc.jpg

Depending on which end of the building you enter, you'll be greeted by this colorful neon artwork.

hZ6dBWX.jpg

Wexler's Deli: House Smoked, Hand Sliced

fcugPlF.jpg

People placing and waiting for orders.

SD0YYry.jpg

Wide view of Wexler's Deli.

PaEiDgB.jpg

The signage on the door pretty much covers the entire menu.

BgMwqGw.jpg

My pastrami sandwich on a Kaiser roll.

RwMjXB2.jpg

Yes, please get into my mouth!

Back