MEATER Block

I've only seen one review - was it Chris Allingham's review????????????? What's the general consensus on it? @ $199 it'd better be good

Ive seen a few reviews. Im waiting for Chris to do his. I think its a really clever set up. Personally for 70 bucks it a value if it works. Dont know if i would want the 4 pack though.

I can't help but to check regularly to see if this truly happens in Q4 https://store.meater.com/

I bought one a month or so ago. They were advertising, and still are I see, 33 feet using Bluetooth. That's more than twice the distance I have to my grilling area. I've used it a couple of times and it worked fine within limits. The maximum range I was getting on Bluetooth was 9 or 10 feet and was intermittent at best beyond that. I emailed them and inquired about that and they informed me that if using the MEATER in a Weber Kettle the 10 feet is indeed the maximum range, not 33 feet My only option for longer range is with Wifi and to pull that off I need an Ipad or an extra phone to use as a link from Bluetooth to Wifi. Yesterday I received the email you linked and read about the "signal repeater" block giving 130 or so feet of range. I"ve contacted them to see if they will cut me some sort of deal on the repeater. I haven't heard back from them and I'm not holding my breath. Quite frankly, I'm not sure it's all worth it. I only bought the thing to use with my rotisserie and I have a kettle on my back deck that is within the minimum Bluetooth range.

Good feedback, Cliff. I'd say you have every entitlement to push for a deal... possibly even a full credit to put toward, at least, the + version. Also, in looking at their site again today they now show 1Q19 for the Block (a couple days ago it was still 4Q18). But they also show a new offering... Meater+

I think I kind of want one but, I can’t justify another “gizmo” expense. The Thermpro cheap model has been just fine for me. The thing that really speaks to me is it’s use for rotisserie use! Very interesting piece of equipment to say the least.

I bought one a month or so ago. They were advertising, and still are I see, 33 feet using Bluetooth. That's more than twice the distance I have to my grilling area. I've used it a couple of times and it worked fine within limits. The maximum range I was getting on Bluetooth was 9 or 10 feet and was intermittent at best beyond that. I emailed them and inquired about that and they informed me that if using the MEATER in a Weber Kettle the 10 feet is indeed the maximum range, not 33 feet My only option for longer range is with Wifi and to pull that off I need an Ipad or an extra phone to use as a link from Bluetooth to Wifi. Yesterday I received the email you linked and read about the "signal repeater" block giving 130 or so feet of range. I"ve contacted them to see if they will cut me some sort of deal on the repeater. I haven't heard back from them and I'm not holding my breath. Quite frankly, I'm not sure it's all worth it. I only bought the thing to use with my rotisserie and I have a kettle on my back deck that is within the minimum Bluetooth range.

Metal blocks RF. Leave the lid off if you want a longer range.

wbo2.jpeg

Meep Meep!

Wireless is a complicated technology. I've had (and have a) a few engineers and amateurs work for me over the years - these are complicated and interesting technologies, their advertising is not misleading at all.

https://meater.com/

I'm not endorsing the product (never seen it, and I have a few questions of my own.............and no need) but they are covering their customer's bases by providing a lot of options from bluetooth to cloud/wifi.

Don't beat this company up (no affiliation), listen to them (unless their product is bad other than range)

Don't beat this company up (no affiliation)

Not beating anyone up Clint. Merely stating facts as they relate to my experience. I was sold a unit that became obsolete a few short weeks after purchase. After I posted my last comment I did hear back from them. They stated "We are not currently able to sell the upgraded charger without a probe or offer an exchange". They did however offer me a 15% off a new set. I declined their offer and told them that I was not interested and was disappointed in their business practices. I have myself to blame for this. I took a risk, knowing that I'd seen comments on our forum regarding range issues as well as from others providing comment on Amazon. Live and learn.

Last edited:
I'll throw a cautionary punch: I've been monitoring their site for probably 12-13 months. During this span of time they have pushed-out their projected date of offering the Block several times. Days ago they shifted from 4Q18 to 1Q19, as an example. My cautionary statement is for newcomers whom see a $199 offer vs. $269 if they pre-order now... and the company collects funds upon the order date, not their ship date.

Not beating anyone up Clint. Merely stating facts as they relate to my experience. I was sold a unit that became obsolete a few short weeks after purchase. After I posted my last comment I did hear back from them. They stated "We are not currently able to sell the upgraded charger without a probe or offer an exchange". They did however offer me a 15% off a new set. I declined their offer and told them that I was not interested and was disappointed in their business practices. I have myself to blame for this. I took a risk, knowing that I'd seen comments on our forum regarding range issues as well as from others providing comment on Amazon. Live and learn.

Obsolete? They don't offer the version you were swindled by anymore?

Have you read the FAQs? They advertise "33ft oven, pan, or gas grill, or 10 ft / 3m in bbq or smoker". Are you not getting 10'?

"The maximum range I was getting on Bluetooth was 9 or 10 feet and was intermittent at best beyond that. I emailed them and inquired about that and they informed me that if using the MEATER in a Weber Kettle the 10 feet is indeed the maximum range, not 33 feet My only option for longer range is with Wifi and to pull that off I need an Ipad or an extra phone to use as a link from Bluetooth to Wifi. Yesterday I received the email you linked and read about the "signal repeater" block giving 130 or so feet of range. I"ve contacted them to see if they will cut me some sort of deal on the repeater. I haven't heard back from them and I'm not holding my breath. Quite frankly, I'm not sure it's all worth it. "

You're dealing with laws of nature, I suppose you don't want that pesky book about Gravity. All your wildest dreams will come true. You can buy our cheapest product and it'll work to 100% satisfaction or your money back.

Customer says "I thought" and it becomes a natural law. Not so.

From their FAQs:

Aren't BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens essentially "Faraday Cages" that prevent RF signal transmission?

In theory, a Faraday Cage will block RF signals from entering and exiting the cage. The good news is that BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are not built or designed to be Faraday Cages.

A good Faraday Cage has no gaps, slots, and holes; Are usually made of thick conductive material and designed with as little individual parts/pieces as possible (i.e. every joining edge or corner between materials are spot welded, etc.).

In reality BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are anything but a Faraday Cage. They have plenty of large air vents and gaps. If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it’ll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes.

One way to test is to place a Bluetooth enabled device (such as a speaker) inside your grill and test its connection with your smartphone.

It's Bluetooth, Cliff. They show you how to test it. I have a bluetooth watch (garmin fenix 5x) and a few bluetooth headsets (in helmets & other headphone configs for calls/music, and also for strictly calls. Do any of them work perfectly? NO. I dip my hand in water and the watch says "bluetooth disconnected" (immediately), pull it out and "connected". The wireless headphones (sennheiser, motorola, plantronics, Outdoor research) all work well, but within the quirky confines of reality.

Gravity book lesson #2: The maverik transmitters are OUTSIDE of the grill, hence the farther range. You want a farther range? Get some sort of bluetooth repeater within 10' of your grill. Or leave the lid off.

Gravity and other natural laws are in effect whether or not you're aware of them.

https://meater.com/support/#faqs

Whatever Clint. Obsolete? Yes, compared to what they’re offering now, a few short weeks later. You buy one and see what you think. I’ll be eager to hear. This isn’t worth it.

Whatever Clint. Obsolete? Yes, compared to what they’re offering now, a few short weeks later. You buy one and see what you think. I’ll be eager to hear. This isn’t worth it.

looks like the Meater + includes the repeater.

Meater: $69 ($5 shipping), 10' in grill, 33 (or whatever BT tech allows) outside of grill.
Meater +: $99, includes repeater, 165' (or so).

https://store.meater.com/

Other than the range issue, do people like it? It looks slick to me.

IMO they should make the repeater available separately if possible/compatible.

I put my $$$ when my mouth is and ordered the meater block. I think the range will be fine for both my kitchen and grills as the grills are just outside my kitchen window, I hope the probes are durable. I'm guessing I won't be able to use them when searing things like TT or steaks as the max cooker temp is 527F; I normally reverse sear but I'm flexible and I'm sure I'll be able to find some use for these.

Maximum internal temperature: 212°F (meat)
Maximum ambient temperature: 527°F (cooker)

I'll post back if/when I get it.

I have the Meater. I bought it quite a while ago to use mainly for rotisserie cooking. Fortunately we had an obsolete smartphone sitting in a drawer that I've used to connect to the home wifi. This works well.

As far as the Meater probe goes: I use a Smoke probe for ambient temps when firing up my cooker because the Meater probe is not used until one adds the product to be cooked. I don't trust ambient temps with the unit. The Meater ambient temp is usually 50* or so out of agreement with the Smoke ambient temp until the final stages of the cook. I contacted Meater about this and they said I had positioned the probe so that the outside part of the sensor was too close to the meat and was being influenced by it. I had been inserting it diagonally. So I have been placing the probe vertically as much as possible. The temp readings are better, but still leave much to be desired. So I always monitor cooker temps with the Smoke temp probe. fwiw -the Meater probe puts a 1/4" diameter hole in the meat. That's OK for a large roast or a whole chicken - not so much for smaller items, imho.

Also, according to some reports on other forms - when the battery in the probe dies: that's it! Dead Meater probe. Am not sure if it's replaceable for a reasonable cost. One person stated that it was not available for replacement. I should contact Meater regarding this concern.

So... like I stated earlier, I purchased it for rotisserie cooking use. Within limits, it works well for that. However, for anything else I prefer using the Thermoworks Smoke.

Oh, and like Cliff - I'm disappointed that they don't offer a discount to Meater owners to upgrade to the newer meater +.

Last edited:
I’ll continue exercising my right to wait, while I really like the concept, I’m not being moved too much by reviews of either the unit or, their customer service.

Well I received my Meater Block. So far, it doesn't work.

When you initially turn it on it wants you to set up the WIFI. Okay that works, WIFI set up. Then it wants to perform an update. Okay start update, says it should take 8-10 minutes. Okay. 5 minutes later update cancels, cannot complete. Once again prompts for WIFI set up. Get Wifi set up again, asks to update. Anyone ever watched groundhogs day????

Customer service has not been good. Told me to replace batteries. Yeah I've done that multiple times. Waiting for their next email reply. Only took them 6 days to get back to me...

So far not impressed.

Thanks for the update but I regret for your sake that you're having a bad experience, especially after waiting so long. For those of us whom did not order early-on I keep checking their web site, expecting to see them post a new estimated shipping timeframe of Q2. I've been looking at it since Fall of 2017, watching them revise their date countless times.

I wish Thermoworks would develop one of these :)

Back