Senior moment

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Out of state company coming...find a nice choice Rib Roast. Trip was delayed, roast was frozen. Fast forward a few weeks. Researched best way to defrost the rib roast and correct number of days in the fridge.

Ok, removed roast from vac packaging. Used a good beef rub I developed for brisket and let sit in refer uncovered overnight. All sides for dinner were carefully prepped and timed to come out at the same time.

The Rib Roast was beautiful. It was placed in the small WSM with glowing lump. The Thermopen Smoke was activated and alarms set.
Everything was going smoothly except the roast was NOT getting up to temp on time. I popped the roast into a 450* oven to finish.

It was too late when I realized that the 225* meat alarm was 100* too high. D--n. the Rib Eye Roast was dead and 40* overdone.
Boy, I screwed this one up. The outside bark tasted great but the grey interior was way overcooked and dry.

So my wife tried to make things better than they were. She remarked, " It's still pink ". Unfortunately, that was the SMOKE Ring not the center of the roast!

.. Rib Eye Roast was dead and 40* overdone.

If we were neighbors my wife would have paid you a prime price for this!

Sorry to learn of your mishap. In the nearly 3 years I've been doing this I still have times when I make ridiculous mistakes whose lessons I learned long ago.

They make gravy for these types of moments....lots of brown gravy.;) My Mom and Dad would have loved it. I grew up on well done meat. We'd go out for a nice Prime Rib dinner and my Mom would always request the end cut.

Sorry to hear that Steve. Really hurts when its a nice and expensive piece of meat like that, but we've all done it. I did a turkey once and got wrapped up in a football game on TV, the bird was just like the one in Christmas Vacation

slice it thin, fry some onions or green peppers (not with the meat) in a pan, then onto a sandwich with some Heinz 57. I'd have preferred it around 125-130F but overdone doesn't ruin it IMO, especially since you cooked & seasoned it.

Sadly unless her beef is done to a degree that would make any of us cry my wife is not happy. What I have to do to a ribeye a burger, anything would make you have me tried for murder (of a great meal)

Out of state company coming...find a nice choice Rib Roast. Trip was delayed, roast was frozen. Fast forward a few weeks. Researched best way to defrost the rib roast and correct number of days in the fridge.

Ok, removed roast from vac packaging. Used a good beef rub I developed for brisket and let sit in refer uncovered overnight. All sides for dinner were carefully prepped and timed to come out at the same time.

The Rib Roast was beautiful. It was placed in the small WSM with glowing lump. The Thermopen Smoke was activated and alarms set.
Everything was going smoothly except the roast was NOT getting up to temp on time. I popped the roast into a 450* oven to finish.

It was too late when I realized that the 225* meat alarm was 100* too high. D--n. the Rib Eye Roast was dead and 40* overdone.
Boy, I screwed this one up. The outside bark tasted great but the grey interior was way overcooked and dry.

So my wife tried to make things better than they were. She remarked, " It's still pink ". Unfortunately, that was the SMOKE Ring not the center of the roast!

***Ouch!***

(needed extra characters)

the chili also had some brisket...it was awesome!

I love scratch made chili made with dried pintos and some Bbq leftovers.

Steve, I respect you, I often make your No 5 sauce, even the grandkids know and ask for it by name ...but here we have to disagree: chili does NOT have beans in it.

😎

Yep I get it (no beans). Just like BBQ sauce/rub recipes-personal and regional variations... and strongly held preferences. I wouldn't want it any other way.

P.S. Cornbread does NOT have sugar in it.

Steve, I respect you, I often make your No 5 sauce, even the grandkids know and ask for it by name ...but here we have to disagree: chili does NOT have beans in it.

��

Ah Oct.1 1999 the day the beans died. I quit participating in chili cook offs when we moved to Az in 2002 basically because the CASI was getting to political for me.
I make lots of chilis with and without beans still enjoy it either way.

Dispute over ingredients

Ingredients for chili con carne

Beans

Beans, a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine, have been associated with chili as far back as the early 20th century. The question of whether beans belong in chili has been a matter of contention among chili cooks for a long time. While it is generally accepted that the earliest chilis did not include beans, proponents of their inclusion contend that chili with beans has a long enough history so as to not be considered unauthentic. The Chili Appreciation Society International specified in 1999 that, among other things, cooks are forbidden to include beans in the preparation of chili for official competition—nor are they allowed to marinate any meats. Small red or pink common beans are commonly used for chili, as are black-eyed peas, kidney beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, or navy beans.

A bowl of Texas-style chili without beans
Texas-style chili may or may not contain beans and may even be made without any other vegetables whatsoever besides chili peppers.

Last edited:
Depends on where you grew up.
Chili or Chile?, Chili & Beans (Midwest), Chili Mac ( Eastern Midwest), Green Chili stew (Southwest ( which has potatoes ):)

Tim

Well, with or without, chili always makes me happy! My dad’s always had beans so, mine does too.
I have had people end up really late for a dinner and simply blame them!

Back