Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Senior moment

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    Steve, I respect you, I often make your No 5 sauce, even the grandkids know and ask for it by name ...but here we have to disagree: chili does NOT have beans in it.

😎

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Yep I get it (no beans). Just like BBQ sauce/rub recipes-personal and regional variations... and strongly held preferences. I wouldn't want it any other way.

P.S. Cornbread does NOT have sugar in it.
    Peach Kissed Q

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell View Post
    Steve, I respect you, I often make your No 5 sauce, even the grandkids know and ask for it by name ...but here we have to disagree: chili does NOT have beans in it.

��
    Ah Oct.1 1999 the day the beans died. I quit participating in chili cook offs when we moved to Az in 2002 basically because the CASI was getting to political for me.
    I make lots of chilis with and without beans still enjoy it either way.

Dispute over ingredients

Ingredients for chili con carne

Beans

Beans, a staple of Tex-Mex cuisine, have been associated with chili as far back as the early 20th century. The question of whether beans belong in chili has been a matter of contention among chili cooks for a long time. While it is generally accepted that the earliest chilis did not include beans, proponents of their inclusion contend that chili with beans has a long enough history so as to not be considered unauthentic. The Chili Appreciation Society International specified in 1999 that, among other things, cooks are forbidden to include beans in the preparation of chili for official competition—nor are they allowed to marinate any meats. Small red or pink common beans are commonly used for chili, as are black-eyed peas, kidney beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, or navy beans.

A bowl of Texas-style chili without beans
    Texas-style chili may or may not contain beans and may even be made without any other vegetables whatsoever besides chili peppers.
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 10-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Depends on where you grew up.
    Chili or Chile?, Chili & Beans (Midwest), Chili Mac ( Eastern Midwest), Green Chili stew (Southwest ( which has potatoes )

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Well, with or without, chili always makes me happy! My dadís always had beans so, mine does too.
    I have had people end up really late for a dinner and simply blame them!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12