ribs on Q320

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well since I sold one of my Genesis grills and since I moved my Genesis 2000 on to the deck and took it off the "bottle" and on to NG it leaves me with only the Q320 right now as my bad weather (garage) grill. Last night I wanted to do some baby backs for me and the kids. I was kind of in a quandary as I wasn't sure how the big Q would handle the task (low and slow with smoke) Well here to tell all it did great! Ribs were kiss off the bone tender, had a little smoke ring and were downright delicious! Notice I used the Q's secondary rack (which fits perfectly even in the center of the grill) to elevate the slab over the smoke packs. I used both burners on full to get the smoke packs going than turned off the center burner and left the outer one on low allowing residual heat to keep the chips going. This again shows the versatility of the Q
3b30hfB.jpg

Larry, approx what temp were you doing the ribs at and how long? Beef or pork?

I really need to do a couple racks of ribs again soon.

The grill was holding right around 350 IIRC for those ribs. They were prime grade pork baby backs from that butcher in Arlington Hts IL I mention sometimes http://www.thuringermeats.com/ It's right near my dad's house and my sister/brother in law also who also live in the area. It was my sister who turned me on to the place. They only sell prime graded meats (pork, beef, lamb) they have also REALLY good chicken as well. IT always grills up nicely, no off smell or taste (unlike the chicken I just bought at Aldi yesterday) which had a different flavor. Not spoiled or anything. Just didn't taste like "good" chicken.
His ribs *unlike anything I buy commercially" (even his spares) always cook up tender, delicious just kiss th meat off the bones good. And what's cool is they're very forgiving. Even if I make a mistake........................(yeah I know right? me a mistake?) they turn out wonderful. The difference in buying steak from there also is amazing. Yeah the meat is a little expensive but not so much more that it gives you palpitations LOL

I never would have dreamed of doing ribs on my Q300 when I owned it.
I always thought of it as being too small - apparently I was wrong (and I had - actually still have - that rack too!)

I have been thinking about trying some on my 1000 when I get it done as I've now seen/been told that the deep boxes do them well - and I love ribs!

Yah, while the Q3xx will work for ribs, my guess is that the 1000 will be a better option if you have a choice. You should be able to do several racks in the 1000 as well.

Yes the larger and more versatile layout of the old style Genesis is better and easier to accomplish good ribs with. For me however it was cold, wet and pouring rain. I did not want to uncover the Genesis and thanks to my haphazard staining skills the Wolf is out of commission until I can get all that over spray off of it. It needs a complete bath with mineral spirits and a maybe a razor blade to get all that just off. So the Q320 got the nod. Since for my family 1 slab does the trick it worked out great!

Larry, I was thinking the rack was my serving. The family would have been SOL. ;)

Ya know back in the day (my late 20's early 30's) I used to put 2 of those away plus baked potatoes, and other sides along with desert afterward. Maybe why I am fighting all the "issues" I have today. Now if I really work at it I can do half of that slab. But than again back then I was built (literally) like Larry Csonka and my friends actually nicknamed me Csonk.
6'2", 225 lbs, 32" waist.....................get the idea? Still same weight but the waist??????? Well let's just say it was like a good investment account LOL

Back