How do you prevent water from building up inside WSM when stored

RyanCassidy

Recently moved my WSM outside for storage (22.5"), but even with the weber factory cover on, and all vents closed i still get a lot of water sitting in the bottom of the WSM when it rains. Same with my 18.5 inch one too. Is there a trick to this? Should i get a different cover?

I used to store it outside when I used it a lot, had same issue then, then kept it inside for a few years when I built an insulated cabinet smoker, now I'm back to the WSM and for convenience want to keep it outside.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BUT leaving the cover on does not allow evaporation to occur. Leaving it outside, well it is problematic "to cover or not to cover, that is the question" ;)

Unless it's got a shed to shelter in/under a roof............

I store my cookers outside so I bought a better cover in 2017. Classic Accessories Heavy Duty Round Smoker/Fryer Cover - Rugged Smoker Cover with Advanced Weather Protection, Large. It was $30

Large trash bag over the smoker then the weber cover over that to keep it in place.
Been doing it for about 6 years.......zero water inside the smoker........ever

Edit:
Just noticed I've been a member here since 2009, so apparently I have been doing this for more years then stated above.
So 9 years......still zero water.......ever

Last edited:
Large trash bag over the smoker then the weber cover over that to keep it in place.
Been doing it for about 6 years.......zero water inside the smoker........ever

Edit:
Just noticed I've been a member here since 2009, so apparently I have been doing this for more years then stated above.
So 9 years......still zero water.......ever

I used to do this. Now I have a Classic Accessories cover - no water so far. It fits so tightly that I don't think a trash bag could fit under it.

I have just started using a large trash bag under the non waterproof Weber cover. Did so after buildup of a lot of mold from moisture inside WSM. That is a very cheap option........time will tell. Tom

ADDED If using the weber cover and the seams leak...

There is a seam sealer made for tents that just might help....

Last edited:
Keep the smoker in the garage, and just move it out when you need to use it. But.... it MUST be stone cold fire out before going back
into the garage.

That's what I used to do ( garage kept) and one of the reasons I added a third wheel to my OTG and Weber wheels to my 18.5" WSM so they were easier to move back and forth.
But now I have a 6' x 8' metal grill gazebo and no worries.:)

Tim

well, I turned the center section upside down and it rained yesterday. No water inside the smoker. Yeah!. Now we will give it a better test this week with the storm that's blowing through. I keep my grills and all the like on the back porch which is right off the kitchen. I wish I would have covered part of it now when I rebuilt it, but alas I didn't. My other smokers/grills at the lake house are always under cover so that keeps them 100% dry which is nice.

You be safe up there Ryan! This sounds pretty big!
I wish I had done a few more “grill shelter” things everywhere I have lived! I’m designing a small deck off my back room, at some point, and will incorporate some weather protection on that. It will need to be detachable but, I have a couple of ideas for that. If I can give it enough footprint, I might consider “foot holds” for my easy up, fair for rain but, probably not for the feet of snow that can happen around here. At least we don’t get hurricanes!

I store mine in the garage, I leave my vents open and place a roll pf paper towels on the top rack.

Back