The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Need advice on smoking a small brisket flat

Need advice on smoking a small brisket flat

It's just me and the missus tomorrow. Found a nice looking 4.4 lbs brisket flat at Costco that I plan to put on the WSM tomorrow. Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated. Planning to go Texas style with only salt/pepper (perhaps a little garlic). The piece is relatively thin.

I cooked a 4 pounder that took 7 hours at 250 so give yourself enough time. You can hold it wrapped in foil in a cooler for several hours. I start probing for tenderness at about 195 internal temp. The probe should slide in easily.

You didn't say what kind of advice so I figured I would throw something your way. Hope I'm not too late. .
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5", 18.5", & 22.5" WSM, SS Performer, FB-200 ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    I cooked a 4 pounder that took 7 hours at 250 so give yourself enough time. You can hold it wrapped in foil in a cooler for several hours. I start probing for tenderness at about 195 internal temp. The probe should slide in easily.

You didn't say what kind of advice so I figured I would throw something your way. Hope I'm not too late. .
    You are indeed a little late . It took me also 7 hrs.

Here are a few pics of the process. The meat look dryer than it actually was. It pulled nicely and was very tender. Smoke ring was a little disappointing. For the rub I used SPG (2:1:1) and Montreal steak seasoning (lightly). Kept the 18.5 SWM at 250-275 F. Wrapped in foil about 3.5 hrs into the smoke when meat was at 160 F.

Last edited by Andy@SC; 09-30-2018 at 05:14 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    Looks like you did good!
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

Great job Andy and a great post. It sure told the story. Sorry I was so late but I noticed that no one had responded so I gave it a shot. I did an overnight cook yesterday that ended at 3 PM and I never checked the forum. The pictures say you're either a seasoned vet or a fast learner. What wood did you use? From the pic I'm guessing Oak and Hickory.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5", 18.5", & 22.5" WSM, SS Performer, FB-200 ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    Great job Andy and a great post. It sure told the story. Sorry I was so late but I noticed that no one had responded so I gave it a shot. I did an overnight cook yesterday that ended at 3 PM and I never checked the forum. The pictures say you're either a seasoned vet or a fast learner. What wood did you use? From the pic I'm guessing Oak and Hickory.
    I actually used pecan. I believe I bought this at walmart. I am not a "seasoned" vet, but I am learning. My ribs are pretty good (according to friends and family), I am working on my "brisket skills".

Forgot to post these two images. I'd like to get feedback on the Chugod. I like it a lot and wonder whether others have experience with this device.

How I start my coals....

My food thermometer

I have to get on here more. I've never seen the Chugod but it looks like a good piece of equipment. It sure has some nice features that my Maverick doesn't have. Great price too. What's important is that you're happy with it.

You crushed it! Great job!
    26.75", Vintage 26", Vintage 22", 22.5", PK Classic