Need advice on smoking a small brisket flat

Andy@SC

It's just me and the missus tomorrow. Found a nice looking 4.4 lbs brisket flat at Costco that I plan to put on the WSM tomorrow. Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated. Planning to go Texas style with only salt/pepper (perhaps a little garlic). The piece is relatively thin.

I cooked a 4 pounder that took 7 hours at 250 so give yourself enough time. You can hold it wrapped in foil in a cooler for several hours. I start probing for tenderness at about 195 internal temp. The probe should slide in easily.

You didn't say what kind of advice so I figured I would throw something your way. Hope I'm not too late. .

I cooked a 4 pounder that took 7 hours at 250 so give yourself enough time. You can hold it wrapped in foil in a cooler for several hours. I start probing for tenderness at about 195 internal temp. The probe should slide in easily.

You didn't say what kind of advice so I figured I would throw something your way. Hope I'm not too late. .

You are indeed a little late :) . It took me also 7 hrs.

Here are a few pics of the process. The meat look dryer than it actually was. It pulled nicely and was very tender. Smoke ring was a little disappointing. For the rub I used SPG (2:1:1) and Montreal steak seasoning (lightly). Kept the 18.5 SWM at 250-275 F. Wrapped in foil about 3.5 hrs into the smoke when meat was at 160 F.

EzRuVju.jpg

dktpK6o.jpg

rlHbAx8.jpg

fKJsQbD.jpg

Wokr5ts.jpg

cdXylKV.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Andy and a great post. It sure told the story. Sorry I was so late but I noticed that no one had responded so I gave it a shot. I did an overnight cook yesterday that ended at 3 PM and I never checked the forum. The pictures say you're either a seasoned vet or a fast learner. What wood did you use? From the pic I'm guessing Oak and Hickory.

Great job Andy and a great post. It sure told the story. Sorry I was so late but I noticed that no one had responded so I gave it a shot. I did an overnight cook yesterday that ended at 3 PM and I never checked the forum. The pictures say you're either a seasoned vet or a fast learner. What wood did you use? From the pic I'm guessing Oak and Hickory.

I actually used pecan. I believe I bought this at walmart. I am not a "seasoned" vet, but I am learning. My ribs are pretty good (according to friends and family), I am working on my "brisket skills".
vrHlJt4.jpg

Forgot to post these two images. I'd like to get feedback on the Chugod. I like it a lot and wonder whether others have experience with this device.

How I start my coals....

v2CP6pr.jpg

My food thermometer

OfX0TUb.jpg

I have to get on here more. I've never seen the Chugod but it looks like a good piece of equipment. It sure has some nice features that my Maverick doesn't have. Great price too. What's important is that you're happy with it.

Back