Using a Morpilot 6 probe today and it doesn't seem accurate, is this thing any good?

EdP

TVWBB Member
Running my propane wsm 18 at 250 .. oven thermometer on the rack says 250, lid thermometer says 250, the two probes laying on the rack say 284 and 293

The probe in the picnic shoulder says 140 right now, not gonna trust it

anyone else have problems with this? What are you using?

Not familiar with this particular unit, but it's a fool's errand trying to get four thermometers to all read the same temp in the WSM. Oven thermometers are slow to react, the WSM lid thermometers can be inaccurate, probe thermometers as usually accurate but change instantly so 284 on one and 293 on the other wouldn't surprise me. If you've tested the probes in boiling water and they're accurate, then the temp readings you're getting are what they are.

Not familiar with this particular unit, but it's a fool's errand trying to get four thermometers to all read the same temp in the WSM. Oven thermometers are slow to react, the WSM lid thermometers can be inaccurate, probe thermometers as usually accurate but change instantly so 284 on one and 293 on the other wouldn't surprise me. If you've tested the probes in boiling water and they're accurate, then the temp readings you're getting are what they are.

thanks for responding, chris. I’m not surprised the two probes laying on the rack are off 10 degrees from each other, it’s that they’re 30-40 degrees higher than the oven thermometer and lid thermometer.

I just used a meat thermometer to check the meat temp and it matches the morpilot probe in the picnic shoulder (165).

maybe these things are calibrated to be accurate in a certain temp range?

EdP;
I have been using remote therms for several years. I have learned that laying a probe on a steel grate will normally give a higher temperature. It is probably not measuring the air temperature but the steel grate temperature. Use a grate clip that most probes come with and that will give you a more "normal" reading. Steel grates absorb heat and commonly are hotter than the surrounding air.

As a possible matter of interest, I place my grate clip so it is pretty much at the same level as the meat, but far enough away from the meat that the "cold" meat won't adversely affect the therm temp. At the same time, you will need to keep the probe away from the outside of the grate as the heated air coming up from around the deflector adversely affects the probe causing too high a reading.

I hope that is helpful...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

EdP;
I have been using remote therms for several years. I have learned that laying a probe on a steel grate will normally give a higher temperature. It is probably not measuring the air temperature but the steel grate temperature. Use a grate clip that most probes come with and that will give you a more "normal" reading. Steel grates absorb heat and commonly are hotter than the surrounding air.

As a possible matter of interest, I place my grate clip so it is pretty much at the same level as the meat, but far enough away from the meat that the "cold" meat won't adversely affect the therm temp. At the same time, you will need to keep the probe away from the outside of the grate as the heated air coming up from around the deflector adversely affects the probe causing too high a reading.

I hope that is helpful...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

yep, that seems like the case here.. the probe in pork shoulder pretty much matched the meat thermometer when I pulled it off the smoker.

LCVlXqA.jpg

Back