What is the story on the newer Ducane grills?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Don't worry! I absolutely am not interested in buying this thing, but I have only heard a few side comments about Ducane and what happened after they sold out to Weber. This one has been listed on CL for a little while and now seller is saying "make offer!" Is it another stainless hulk or are any of the newer Ducane's worth anything? I know their old grills were a lot like Broilmasters, and you do see those now and then. Any thoughts?

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/for/d/ducane-stainless-steel-gas-bbq/6703881464.html

k54kms.jpg

Last edited:
Some if them are really excellent units. They are made in China but the ones like this one you asked about are solid 300 series stainless (including the fore box). So overall quite well made units. There is a less expensive version with plain steel fire boxes and they rust out badly. These larger units though are very decent but I don't know about parts

I had a three burner Ducane that my next door neighbor put out on the curb, he said it would not light and when you opened the tank valve you could smell gas. I replaced the regulator and it was as good as new. It was very well made but the burner valves were located like the one in the picture right next to the firebox. To protect the valves from excessive heat the burners didn't have holes for the first 1/3 of the burner tube making the first 1/3 of the grates with no heat under them.
I sold it because of that, but like I said really a well constructed grill.

Don't worry! I absolutely am not interested in buying this thing, but I have only heard a few side comments about Ducane and what happened after they sold out to Weber. This one has been listed on CL for a little while and now seller is saying "make offer!" Is it another stainless hulk or are any of the newer Ducane's worth anything? I know their old grill were a lot like Broilmasters, and you do see those now and then. Any thought?

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/for/d/ducane-stainless-steel-gas-bbq/6703881464.html

k54kms.jpg

Ducane 30400042-30400043

Not sure what model this is its one or the other and yes it appears there are still parts for it looking at a few sites. Just checked a few some had some stuff and others had some other stuff. Guess it would depend on what you needed, the parts are fairly pricey.

Nice looking grill looks like it has new burners as they mention that. I could actually see you chasing that one not sure how far away it is and what he wants for it.

Brian,

Nah...Got to stick to tax returns, and, really, I don't know what I would do with it even if it were cheap. Now that I was able to get our cafeteria that Crown Verity I am out of the market for big grills. BUT, I did see this Summit Platinum...these are harder for me to ignore:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-platunum-d6-grill/6698513180.html

To funny I thought you swore off those things. :) It does look nice though especially at 250 if you threw an offer out. I have to admit I really am not a stainless guy but it is something about the look of those I love not willing to take a chance on one but they really to me look nice but a 6 burner for us would be so way overkill not funny.

To funny I thought you swore off those things. :) It does look nice though especially at 250 if you threw an offer out. I have to admit I really am not a stainless guy but it is something about the look of those I love not willing to take a chance on one but they really to me look nice but a 6 burner for us would be so way overkill not funny.

Brian,

No, I swore off the CURRENT GENERATION Summits which in my mind are overweight, over-complex, cheap metal junk not worthy of the Summit name. Ask me how I know:eek:!

This one is the second generation which have their faults, too, but the Platinum version like this one was made for only two years and has the all-stainless (high grade) frame AND cabinetry. The one weakness is the firebox front. I think if you were so inclined you could get a sheet metal shop to make you a stainless replacement or patch for that. With that you would have an almost bullet-proof big Weber. They are also much more manageable and repairable. Kind of like a classic Genesis, just stretched out. Not that I need one...

I kind of agree with you about stainless, except that I DO like my Genesis Platinum which has its own unique monochrome look that contrasts with black, red and other color grills. I love the stainless frame. Just hate the cabinetry which, unlike on the Summit Platinum, is NOT stainless (except the doors) and is always rusted out.:p

Last edited:
I bought my son a lightly used Ducane Affinity 4100 on Kijiji - when he was moving out to live with a couple of buddies and was looking for a BBQ. I knew the story of how Weber Stephens corp bought the rights to Ducane when they were going out of business and decided to use Ducane as their pseudo off brand BBQ to capture a portion of the lower end (think big box store Nexgrill) marketplace.

I couldn't resist the price - $100 including a 2 yr old 30 lb propane tank and a 2 yr old 20 lb propane tank.

The BBQ was in perfect condition - and I took a good look at it as I gave it a light clean up. It was no better or worse than any of the other $200 BBQ's you see at the box stores with names like "Master Forge" & "Nexgrill".

I ordered my son a spare set of burners and heat plates on Amazon and gave the BBQ, parts and the 20 lb propane tank as a gift - I kept the 30 pounder to use with my propane torch that I use to light charcoal in my Visions Kamado and burn the weeds between the bricks on my patio.

My son is still using the BBQ and says it works fine - but it's no Weber.

Back