Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Joel Young

TVWBB Member
This is my first Weber grill! After owning several Walmart specials, I decided it was probably time to get a decent one. While researching new models I stumbled across this forum and was hooked!

I found this Genesis 1100 earlier this year on OfferUp. It was $100 which may have been a little high, but at the time there was a shortage of Redheads with wood slats. Plus it was almost* fully functional.

01.jpg

02.jpg

The igniter is long gone, and someone was kind enough to cover it with a piece of diamond plate screwed through the control panel :(

09.jpg

No rust, but the Arizona heat is not kind to plastic.

04.jpg

Only missing 1 flavorizer bar, but I'll be replacing them anyway

05.jpg

So I dubbed it the "Diamond Plate" edition.

06.jpg

I thought it was just to cover the broken igniter, but come to find out there is a hollowed out space for a house key. I guess the previous owner was forgetful with his keys but still managed to have a phillips screwdriver on him?

07.jpg

Disassembly went pretty well. I stopped the fame at this point as I figured it would be easier to clean upright.

08.jpg

Only snapped 1 bolt! Now just have to figure out where to go next. The lid looks to be in nice condition save for some flat black overspray. The biggest problem I see will trying to find a replacement control panel. Seems like any NOS units are long gone. Lots of cleaning to do in the meantime...

Welcome to the forum someone here will probably be able to sell you that control panel actually I think Larry has one lying around he offered to give it to someone else for shipping so you could PM him.

A lot of them my first one had a bit of rust on the lower right side corner Larry mentioned his had a small chip guessing but let him chime in that is where it probably is. I just sprayed some ultra in a plastic cup and touched it up with a paintbrush. That chip on mine had a bit of rust looks fine never notice it.

Joel,
Off to a good start!

Contact LMichaels (Larry), here on the forum, he might have a control panel for you, minus the Diamond Plate :rolleyes:

Jeff

Looks like you've got a winner. Lots and lots of information on restoring those 1000-5000 grills on here. For the overspray use some 0000 steel wool and simple green spray a lot on the lid and polish away the lid will look like new. Although those spots you think are overspray may actually be in the porcelain finish.

There is a number on the control panel on the bottom left if its 8006 I have a control panel in very nice condition that I don't need. Seeing we are both in AZ the shipping wouldn't be much if you want to pay for the shipping I'll send it to you. Send me a PM if you want it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Joel!

Looks like a great project you have there - I have just obtained my own 1100 Redhead and it, too, needs a new control panel due to someone drilling a newer igniter hole in it.

Several mentioned that they might have one for me and I was lucky enough to find a member who does not live far from me who has one available for me, so I'm sure you'll find one - as evidenced by Rich above offering you one already!

Last edited:
Yep, a bit high price but it does seem like the grill is in quite good condition overall (minus the diamond plate of course). I might have an #8006 control panel as well if the other offers don't work out.

It isn't going to take much work or $$$ to get that thing into good working order. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've got a winner. Lots and lots of information on restoring those 1000-5000 grills on here. For the overspray use some 0000 steel wool and simple green spray a lot on the lid and polish away the lid will look like new. Although those spots you think are overspray may actually be in the porcelain finish.

There is a number on the control panel on the bottom left if its 8006 I have a control panel in very nice condition that I don't need. Seeing we are both in AZ the shipping wouldn't be much if you want to pay for the shipping I'll send it to you. Send me a PM if you want it.

If Rich's panel isn't the right one, let me know. I have one stashed away that might be the right one.

Late to the party again!

Welcome aboard, Joel! I believe you will get great advice and friendly help from fellow members here.

Looks like you picked up a really nice one, so don’t feel bad about the $100. You already have a number of options for a control panel, so go with one and let us all see a really nice, fully restored redhead when you are ready.

I don't see the "thousand" grills around here any more at all. Just shallow box grills like the silver and gold B and C models, which I personally do not prefer. So $100 is a fair price to me, but that's just supply and demand.

Slainte!

I don't see the "thousand" grills around here any more at all. Just shallow box grills like the silver and gold B and C models, which I personally do not prefer. So $100 is a fair price to me, but that's just supply and demand.

Slainte!

I agree as others have said on the 100 bucks, the wood looks to be in great shape and the handle also appears that way. Only been 2 redheads in ATL in the last year lucky a month ago scored one the other one was gone in days. Totally agree on the supply and demand.

Seems out Bruce's way I think I remember him saying he had a bunch of redheads.

Yah, I still have three redheads, I think. It is strange, but they seem fairly plentiful around me. I am pretty sure I purchased more redheads this year than any other hood color. The basic blacks were strangely not popping for me this year. I get a lot of 1000 grills as well. Probably not as many as Silver B's, but not too many less either.

It is definitely a market thing Bruce not many 1000's ever show up here and if your trying to sell a nat gas grill down here there just is not a lot of demand. Which is kind of funny since we have nat gas just about everywhere in the metro area of GA they may sell eventually but it seems the prices for those are not close to propane and they sit around for awhile.

I have at least one spare control panel lying around. But it may not be the exact copy with the same exact prints. Weber had several versions but they are all the same techically.
And I am traveling in Europe right now and will not be back till October 9.
But after that I could ship one if interested.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
I was fine with the $100, especially since the 3 previous craigslist finds were gone by the time the seller responded.

I wish I had posted here sooner about the control panel! I had previously bought one off of eBay, which arrived damaged from shipping. So of course I did the most logical thing... I bought another one off eBay. Shockingly, it was also damaged in shipping. I was beginning to think I was destined to have the diamond plate holes forever. But thanks to this board it looks like I have a lead on a good one now.

Speaking of the control panel, my serial number decal on the side of it has long since been turned to a blank white rectangle.

01.jpg

By trade I'm a mediocre graphic designer, so I took a shot a re-creating it. Chris has a post at

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70576-Deciphering-Old-Weber-Gas-Grill-Serial-Numbers

That has a pretty good photo of one, although some of text is a little hard to make out.

02.jpg

Here is what I came up with. I was able to pull some art from the online manual, which was good because there was very little reference for the old American Gas Association logo.

03.jpg

Maybe some friends with decals still in tact can take a look and see if they notice anything incorrect with the text?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I don't think anyone has restored that sticker before!!

Not that I could find. Probably falls into a legal "gray area" since it involves serial numbers, but I doubt anyone is making a business selling counterfeit 20 year old grills.

I am pretty sure your grill is 1993 to 1996. It is tough to find grills pre 2000 that have legible data stickers still on them. I don't know why Weber never went to something more permanent. As fare as I know, they are still using printed stickers.

I am pretty sure your grill is 1993 to 1996. It is tough to find grills pre 2000 that have legible data stickers still on them. I don't know why Weber never went to something more permanent. As fare as I know, they are still using printed stickers.

Bruce, I can just make out the "EZ" on the faded decal

04.jpg

Which I think is associated with 1998 via http://virtualweberbullet.com/determine-age-weber-grills-smokers.html

I think they went with stickers because they didn't want us to get lazy :)

Back