Q200 butane to propane

Liz QM

TVWBB Member
Hi I have a UK issue Q200 that I have always used with a 13kilo butane tank. Now the local gas suppliers have decided that we all now need to use propane! So a new free regulator and a 13 kilo of propane is attached…
The only think is, it doesn’t seem to be as hot as the butane? With butane I would always turn in down to the lowest setting for my burgers but with this propane I have it on about the forth line for the same heat?
Do I need to do anything with the Q? The Q sticker does state it can use both gases.

Hmm further to the above, it seems that the gas will go off on the front part of the burner? I just noticed as I have opened the lid that the front part was out and the flames then moved around to the front but the back and side was still had a flame.

Butane has more energy than propane per volume, what you are seeing is not unexpected as far as heat output is concerned. I can't speak for the flame pattern.

Did you add the LP regulator in series with the Butane one? Does Weber even sell a butane model Q?

I used a butane regulator with the butane and then changed the butane regulator over for the propane one. It worked really well with the butane!
The Weber sticker under the shelf states that it can use butane or propane.

If the butane was hotter it makes sense that with propane you will have to turn the burner up. Just going to have to relearn the grill.

If the butane was hotter it makes sense that with propane you will have to turn the burner up. Just going to have to relearn the grill.
Thank you George
I used the Q last night with the dial at half way and it was much better. I still prefer the butane!
I contacted Weber in the Uk and the assistant suggested changing the regulator over to the official Weber regulator. The regulator I have is the one they give free with the gas bottle. I will see how I go with this regulator for now, as George says I just need to relearn how to use it.

Back