Aldi seasoned tri tip $4.99/lb. Sept. 26-29

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Also see my post #9.

I know some of you can't find tri tip, so this might be your chance.
From the Aldi ad:
"Morton's of Omaha FRESH Angus Seasoned Tri-Tip Roast"

x_large

By seasoned I assume it's in a marinade. I poked around and found Costco at one time sold M of O tri tips called Steakhouse Classic and they had good reviews. This is the price per pound I pay for Choice packer tri tips when not on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this last weekend, their sales start Sunday, except their meats, they claim they are fresh never frozen. That is why the person at Aldi's said why theie meat sale dosen't start until Wednesdays.

Here's the deal, it's pretty well loaded with "stuff"
So I suggest checking out the label to see if this is okay with you.
It is called "Steakhouse Classic" like the ones that were sold at Costco. Not sure why a tri tip needs to be "mechanically tenderized" or marinated, but this one is.
I decided what the hell and did buy one.

Let's see... the familiar trusted name of Bell & Howell being used to sell flashlights of questionable origin ???

So, now we have "Morton's of Omaha" selling (what is labeled as...) Tri-Tip, while neither being related to the Morton's Steakhouse chain nor the Omaha Steaks chain. Makes this person wonder if these "Steakhouse Classic TRI-TIP" are truly Tri-Tip, as specified in the meat buyer guide as number USDS IMPS-NAMP #185D !!!

Could this explain why these might need mechanical tenderizing !

Last edited:
So, now we have "Morton's of Omaha" selling (what is labeled as...) Tri-Tip, while neither being related to the Morton's Steakhouse chain nor the Omaha Steaks chain. Makes this person wonder if these "Steakhouse Classic TRI-TIP" are truly Tri-Tip, as specified in the meat buyer guide as number USDS IMPS-NAMP #185D !!!

The one I bought does have a tri tip shape, some didn't seem to.
For what it's worth they're a Cargill product, US inspected. but I don't see a country of origin.

Let's see... the familiar trusted name of Bell & Howell being used to sell flashlights of questionable origin ???

We will find out gonna pick one up myself if I have time comes down to what it tastes like sure Pat and if I get a pack will report back.

We live in a rural area. I found my first Tri-Tip at Sams not too long ago (which was also packaged and marinated), and more oft than not they don't stock them. The next nearest shop I found them is 60 miles away. You could say we don't get out much--and therefore have lesser standards--so when Bob C mentioned these at Aldi I grabbed three of them. Oddly, we are fewer than 15 miles from an Aldi store. I won't be surprised if our household finds them completely satisfying for our taste buds. One thing I know with certainty is I'll enjoy throwing them on the Santa Maria attachment :)

The one I bought does have a tri tip shape, some didn't seem to.
For what it's worth they're a Cargill product, US inspected. but I don't see a country of origin.

Hi Bob,

Did the muscle structure, namely the multiple fibre directions, match that of known Tri-Tip ?

Hi Bob,

Did the muscle structure, namely the multiple fibre directions, match that of known Tri-Tip ?
It's still in the vac-pack and with the marinade it's not possible to see the grain directions.
I really do think these are tri tip cuts, but mine won't be opened and hit the grill until a future date, full report when it does.

The individually sold tri-tips at Costco are now mechanically tenderized, I don't think the bulk Cryovac packaged ones are, though.

As mentioned, Costco has sold many similar seasoned tri-tips under a variety of labels, including American BBQ Company and even Guy Fieri, if I remember correctly. I like mine plain so I can season them myself, but if I lived in a "tri-tip desert" and this was all I could get, I'd give one a try.

Roll the dice and take a chance. It's relatively cheap meat. Smokers are famous for turning 'secondary' cuts of meat into delicacies. Before all of the BBQ shows and websites got started up, we could get brisket for $0.99 per pound!

Roll the dice and take a chance. It's relatively cheap meat. Smokers are famous for turning 'secondary' cuts of meat into delicacies. Before all of the BBQ shows and websites got started up, we could get brisket for $0.99 per pound!

I remember when flank steak was about that price too! We have caused the prices to go up as much as any other reason. Making silk purses will drive the price of bellies go up too!
It’s still worth it!

Back