Hello from a new smoker in Hickory, NC

JasonE

Hello all!

For my birthday last month my wife and father joined forces and gifted me a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5", 4 bags of Kingsford and two bags of wood chunks. I've been having a blast every weekend since (except when Florence came through). I'm a little obsessed even. I've been learning a lot here and other places and look forward to contributing.

Thus far, I've ruined a brisket flat with way too much salt, dried out some baby backs and made a variety of other mistakes. However, I've also made two delicious pork shoulders, a packer cut brisket that turned out much better than the first with some fantastic burnt ends. More importantly, I've been able to share my successes with my friends, family and neighbors.

I've had a lot of fun so far, hope I can share it with you all.

:wsm::wsm::wsm:

Welcome aboard Jason. That's a great cooker you have and you learn by doing. I did the same thing to a Brisket flat but only once. Lots of good folks here willing to help. Don't be shy about asking questions and sharing your experiences.

Cool, nice gift or terrible curse depending on how one looks at it.
The biggest thing about the WSM is it’s ability to make friends and family smile!
Have a ball, it’s a fun learning curve.
I agree that a Packer is easier to do than a flat! More flexibility in Cook time.
I’m fairly sure the bulk of the charcoal “deals” are done for the season but come spring, Lowe’s and Home Depot both do Kingsford sales, that’s the weekend to stock up, I’m sitting on somewhere near 18 bags more or less which might get me through until spring deals show.
Let me know if you have any questions or just want a shoulder to lean on through a frustrating smoke! I did that with a couple of folks here and they’ve become friends from all over the globe!

Back