What grill brush

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
...is it ok to use on cast iron enamel grates. (Weber silver A )
just curious what you all use to clean your grates. I have always just lit my grill and then brushed off the hot grates with a wire brush...but I have never had these cast iron enameled grates before so I’m kind of stumped. Any guidance would be appreciated .

I do the same no matter what grates I then follow up with either an old towel soaked in water (to steam the grates cleaner) or soaked in grape seed oil to finish the clean, oil the grates and get any last residue including an errant bristle or two

Most brushes work well on the enameled cast iron on a hot grill as you described. Just be very careful about stray bristles the brush may shed. Some downplay the risk but I work in a large hospital and have seen what can happen if you swallow a bristle.

Just always wipe it off post cleaning as LMichaels recommends. There are brushless tools available but they work better on round stainless grates.

I bought this one for my Cape Silver B and have been impressed with it although I have not used it much so far: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0773J5758/tvwb-20

It was cheap and has worked well on my wide, stamped stainless grates on my Silver B so far.

The way it is designed ensures that you don't have to worry about stray bristles, though there are people who have complained it doesn't work.
With a little pressure I have found it works just fine.

I'm not saying it is a perfect solution, but for less than $10, I was in to try it.

Last edited:
I have seen that interesting style brush and was wondering how well they would work.

I have seen that interesting style brush and was wondering how well they would work.

I tried one but never could get the hang of it.

For stainless rods (and, sorry, even more so for GrillGrates) I have grown to like the solid wood spatula looking scraper. On the cast iron on my Q grills I often started with a regular wire brush but finished with a hard plastic brush once the grates were no longer scorching hot.

Back