My New Genesis 1000 Redhead

Ryan RS in Mass

TVWBB Fan
Sometime last week (before I got my $10 Green 1000) I found a craigslist ad for a Redhead 1000 for $50.

I contacted the seller and he wasn't available any of the times I was available, so I decided I'd just let it pass.

Sunday afternoon he called me and told me he'd take $30 for it and he was around the rest of the afternoon.
He is moving out of state next weekend, so he wanted it gone.

I agreed that if it was as nice as he said it was, I'd take it.

Well, I drove home yesterday afternoon with my first Redhead, which is now firmly my keeper grill.

The frame is super mint, and the shelves are real wood, but appear to be the stained gray, which I just read today is somewhat of an oddity.

It does have a rotisserie mount, but he did not have the rotisserie anymore.

He put new burners, new grates, and new flavorizer bars into it 2 years ago, but the center of the grates are dented inward, so they're not really usable in my opinion.

Unfortunately he also drilled the control panel for the later "pop-in" style of igniter, which no longer works.

So, I've gotta swap grates and control panels on it, but he even threw in a cover which I should be able to get at least a season out of.

Worth the money, in my eyes.

Pics!:

2v2JjvWwjx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvW7Nx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvWgdx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvWzjx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvGwqx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvG4Nx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvGCdx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvGdFx9jnnR.jpg

2v2JjvG5yx9jnnR.jpg

Like I said, this is definitely a keeper for me, and hopefully the last grill I will ever buy to keep.

Subsequently, and to try to cure myself of Weber-itis, I have unfollowed my followed searches for Webers, and have tried to enter into a reformation program. :rolleyes:

I likely will refurbish it completely sometime next spring, after I finish my green 1000.

Once I sell my Silver A (hopefully in the next few weeks), this baby is going to get my new Stainless Rod Quligrates, a new igniter, and go into full service - I am looking forward to it!

What are my options for a control panel swap so I can get rid of the extra igniter button?
Can I swap on the later Silver B premium control panel I have? They appear to be the same size...

Last edited:
What are my options for a control panel swap so I can get rid of the extra igniter button? Can I swap on the later Silver B premium control panel I have? They appear to be the same size...

They are not compatible. I might have a spare 1000-5000 control panel for you though. Let me look tonight (perhaps a mutually equitable trade could be bartered).

A deep box red head for $30, nice score. Should clean up fine. Those are great cookers I have two of them and really enjoy using them.

A deep box red head for $30, nice score. Should clean up fine. Those are great cookers I have two of them and really enjoy using them.

Thanks Rich!
Two 1000s in 3 days is a lot, probably not a record, but a lot for a guy who only owned 1 Weber 2 months ago...

They are not compatible. I might have a spare 1000-5000 control panel for you though. Let me look tonight (perhaps a mutually equitable trade could be bartered).

JKim, that would be wonderful and much appreciated!

You don't happen to have any other shelves hanging around so I can complete the "JKim" RH shelf mod on this one, do you?

Is anything from that Silver B compatible with this 1000?

Congrats Ryan,
That 1000 should clean up nicely.I saw that one on the Billerica Craigslist.

If JKim doesn't have a spare control panel I would just take out that incorrect igniter and
put a rubber plug in the hole. The correct igniter is a Weber # 7509.

The grates will exchange between the B and the 1000 as will the lids/end cap.

Jeff

Last edited:
Congrats Ryan,
That 1000 should clean up nicely.I saw that one on the Billerica Craigslist.

If JKim doesn't have a spare control panel I would just take out that incorrect igniter and
put a rubber plug in the hole. The correct igniter is a Weber # 7509.

The grates will exchange between the B and the 1000 as will the lids/end cap.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.
That is where it came from, Billerica.
I probably wouldn't have purchased it, but $30 is just such a good deal on a relatively clean Redhead, I couldn't pass it up.

I will put some sort of plug in the hole if JKim doesn't have one.

Thanks for the parts compatibility and the igniter tip, I am going to order one now.

I also have a control panel laying around gathering dust. Don't need anything for it. I think it does have a tiny chip on a corner (hardly can see) but if needed pay for the shipping and it's yours

I’m trying to pick up a 1000 locally to me and will have that side table without a hole in it. Guy wants too much for it though.

Thanks, Jeff.
That is where it came from, Billerica.

LOL, I saw that as well and didn’t do anything until a couple of days ago. Was wondering why the guy didn’t respond back. It’s the next town over from my workplace. I have enough grills for now (3), but would like just 1 more similar to my 1300 to keep for parts.

There is an rather large group of us Mass guys isn't there?

Jeff

There are, and there's the guy who is out there (maybe even in Billerica?) who collects these things for parts - I think it was Bill who visited him?

Regardless, there will always be action in MA for those freebies and cheap grills.

LOL, I saw that as well and didn’t do anything until a couple of days ago. Was wondering why the guy didn’t respond back. It’s the next town over from my workplace. I have enough grills for now (3), but would like just 1 more similar to my 1300 to keep for parts.

He'll be moving in a couple of days and wanted it gone, so I'm not surprised he isn't responding, though that is one of the aggravating things about listings - when people don't take them down.

There are, and there's the guy who is out there (maybe even in Billerica?) who collects these things for parts - I think it was Bill who visited him?

Yup, that was me.

He'll be moving in a couple of days and wanted it gone, so I'm not surprised he isn't responding, though that is one of the aggravating things about listings - when people don't take them down.

Yes, I agree but I try not to get annoyed. I just move onto the next listing.

Save some redheads for me. I only have one and it needs some parts! There’s one for sale in ct but i don’t wanna spend 75 on it.

Where in CT are you located? What kind of parts are you looking for?

Haha! What is it with people drilling through the control panels? Well it looks like there are a few grills that gave their lives so ours could live on. Best of luck, I'll be following along with you.

Yup, that was me.

Yes, I agree but I try not to get annoyed. I just move onto the next listing.

Where in CT are you located? What kind of parts are you looking for?

North haven, looking for the flip up tables and maybe a new manifold. Thinking mine was set up for nq as the flame is kinda large. But not sure yet.

Back